Breville Ice Cream Compressor...anyone?

LLVVJune 27, 2013

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has the Breville Ice Cream Compressor that Williams Sonoma and other places are selling for $399. I have never made homemade ice cream before but I'm very interested in making it. I'm torn between Cuisinart's ice cream maker for $70 and Breville's compressor. It seems like the Breville version will produce better ice cream because it actually freezes and it also have various hardness settings whereas the Cuisinart one will have issues with the ice cream melting and getting the correct consistency.

I'm planning on making ice cream, gelato, sorbet, and frozen yogurt so having something that can get the consistency correct is a big deal for me.

Anyone have this ice cream maker or a different one that can help me make an informed decision?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcarch7

It's good machine, too bad it is only 1.5 quarts.

The Cuisinart was on sale for $15.00.

dcarch

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:26PM
triciae

I looked at it about a month ago but the weight made it a no-go for me. It's nice though.

/tricia

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 3:25PM
LLVV

I just wanted to update in case anyone is interested in this ice cream maker. I've made 3 types of frozen desserts...non custard vanilla ice cream, strawberry sherbet, and a custard based lemon ice cream. Each one of them turned out phenomenal due to the high quality recipes and ingredients. I'm not sure that if I made this with a freezer bowl type of ice cream maker if my end results would be much different but the convenience of having a let's make ice cream now ability is really nice. I think that having a compressor maintains an ideal temperature is nice as well. I feel that there is a need to use a very cold base even with the compressor as it reduces the churning time as well as lowers the temperature inside of the appliance.

The paddle does get a little but iffy once the ice cream has substantially thickened to soft serve consistency. All 3 times I had to stop the machine prior to the automatic setting sounding for fear the paddle would break or the motor would burn out. However, once the machine starts to struggle, the ice cream has always been ready to go into the freezer. It's always a soft serve consistency, never soupy. After being in the freezer the ice cream is hard serve consistency. I enjoy ice cream both was so no issue there.

On a a whim my DD asked me to add Skittles to the sherbet which I did out of curiosity (definitely not out of need) and the mixer nicely distributed the candy pieces.

It's heavy but I can move it back and forth easily. It's quite large but can be stored. Based on what I've watched online, it seems to be a lot quieter than other ice cream makers.

Is this machine necessary to make ice cream...most likely not it it's really nice to have.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Costa Rican food ... and adventure
Forget what you have heard about food in Costa Rica...
publickman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™