pex vs. hdpe geothermal ground loop

ring900September 10, 2007

Anyone know if 3/4" PEX is okay for geothermal ground loop? Should it have oxygen barrier?

Thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fsq4cw

As far as I know, itÂs not an approved material for a ground loop anywhere in North America; I personally wouldnÂt even consider it!

IMO

SR

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 10:34PM
pyropaul

Irrespective of whether PEX is allowed or not, a 1.25" ID pipe has 2.78 times the capacity of a 3/4" pipe. So for a given flow rate, the resistance of the PEX pipe will be way higher than a standard 1.25" HDPE pipe. This resistance would require a more powerful pump to overcome which would lower your COP since you'd be wasting energy in the pump itself. A fusion-joined HDPE pipe set should last indefinitely.

Paul in Montreal

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 10:12AM
wantsome

If you use multiple circuits of 3/4" pex the resistance to flow can be made to equate or even exceed that of a 1.25" system. A suitable design is to connect each of your pex circuits to larger inlet and outlet manifolds above ground. Make sure you use one continuous run of pipe for each circuit so that there are no connnections being made undergound.

Take a look at geothermaldiy.com I think they are using 3/4" PEX for their systems.

Also, here are some specs on the thermal conductivity of PEX and PE pipe http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/physical-properties-thermoplastics-d_808.html

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 12:47AM
More Discussions
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
foul smell from gas furnace vents
Please help. We have a gas furnace (only 2 years old)...
taracol
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
Noisy Compressor in Geothermal Heat Pump
I have installed a Cliamtemaster Tranquility 27 3 hp...
macleodaj
wood stove insert causing boiler to cycle?
We have an oil-fired boiler, an indirect water heater,...
kitasei
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™