About Air Filters; Which Vent Do I Need to Change Filter?

chuehSeptember 5, 2010

I am confused about which vent, register, or in-take do I need to change filters. I remember seeing people changing filters on the air-out and in-take registers, while the A/C or heater were not installed with the filters. A/C technicians always just change the filter at the big unit in the attic. Is it just sufficient to change the filter in the attic?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryanhughes

It depends on how the system is set up. Either you will have one main filter at the unit in the attic, or you have filters at the actual return air grilles (or "intakes"). If the technician is changing the filter at the unit, then there is no need for filters at the air grilles in the hallway, bedrooms, etc.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 9:57PM
chueh

Thank you for your answer. I asked the question, because my thermostat still indicates "change filter" after I changed the one in the attic.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 6:49PM
ryanhughes

The thermostat displays this message based on runtime simply as a reminder. So you can ignore it if you've changed the filter. Only exception I can think of is Carrier's Infinity system and control (thermostat), which reports when you need to change the filter based on internal logic and static pressure/pressure drop readings.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 10:25PM
dadoes

There's likely a button or procedure on the thermostat to reset the timer when the filter is changed. Most thermostats that operate the change indicator by blower run-time also have an adjustment for how many accumulated hours for triggering it. Check your thermostat's instruction manual for details.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 11:07PM
chueh

Thank you for your answer. I asked the question, because my thermostat still indicates "change filter" after I changed the one in the attic.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 8:04AM
dadoes

There's no way for the thermostat to know that you've gone into your attic and changed a filter unless it operates off some sort of sensor as RyanHughes mentioned above. Assuming the indicator is a simple timer that counts the accumulated blower run-time ... you have to to press a button or something to reset/restart the timing when you change the filter. My thermostat, for example, has a designated button labeled "Reset Filter."

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 9:12AM
chueh

I see. thanks

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Any Reviews/Feedback on Daikin HVAC (Dallas)
Anyone install a Daikin HVAC system yet? We are in...
DallasArts
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™