Getting good price on heat pump

Gatorfan818September 26, 2012

I wanted to improve the efficiency of my older Goodman units. And get the best price I could. I had 7 HVAC companies come out (big outfits and 1 man crews) with estimates. The prices floored me...some were over $10,000. Which led me to Craigslist.

I received many responses to my ad, and decided on a licensed contractor with great references. He charged $1600 to install 2 small heat pumps. It took 2 people about 11 hours to install, so I believe I paid a very fair wage. I got the equipment at his cost. I saved over $3000 by doing my homework.

Be very careful when hiring a company...there is a greed factor. My contractor actually told me that to some, having a license in HVAC is a license to steal. Overcharging for adding refrigerant (costs them $11 a lb., some charge $60-80 per pound). Most important thing is to check references and make sure they are licensed. Don't let these guys take extra hard-earned money from you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltidawg

Did you get a labor Warranty? If you need a service call some frigid winter evening, will he come?

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 8:19AM
neohioheatpump

You are right. There alot of hvac companies and even small 1/2 operations that want to make a few thousand dollars profit per job for like 10 hours of work! If you shop around though, you can find licensed contractors that are much more reasonable.
Once you find a reasonable priced licensed contractor who does quality work and is knowledable, save their number and refer them to family and friends.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 9:22AM
Britney80

That was a GREAT price, and with the price of refridgerant going up to $600 per drum, i think my husband cahrges $25 per pound to make it fair, but you are right some charge $70-98 per pound I've seen. Some people think its great to go with big name companies and I am a firm believer that you get a better deal from a smaller company bc as I have said before, they want to please you so that you refer them to others and that you are a repeat customer. We have our own small business so I know how it goes! Glad you didn't get ripped off. I hate to see when people pay 6-8000 for a new unit etc etc.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 2:46PM
Gatorfan818

I have a labor warranty for one year, per SC law. Some outfits were giving me the one year free, but quoted $325 value for something they are required to do for free...

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
HVAC design
In determining the HVAC system to use in our new construction,...
bethmcg
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
Sponsored Products
African Violet 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Coral Coast Lakeside 53 x 14 Outdoor Cushion for Porch Swings & Gliders - TRENDM
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Linen Shade Brushed Steel Double Multi Light Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Red Super Kazak Oriental Rug Hand Knotted 6'x9' 100% Wool Tribal Design Sh18077
1800 Get A Rug
Black & White Zebra & Polka Dot Elf Stocking
$19.99 | zulily
Plumen 001 Baby Bulb by Hulger
$29.00 | Lumens
Anderson Loveseat - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
14-inch Round Slab Cutting Board w/ Feet