Getting good price on heat pump

Gatorfan818September 26, 2012

I wanted to improve the efficiency of my older Goodman units. And get the best price I could. I had 7 HVAC companies come out (big outfits and 1 man crews) with estimates. The prices floored me...some were over $10,000. Which led me to Craigslist.

I received many responses to my ad, and decided on a licensed contractor with great references. He charged $1600 to install 2 small heat pumps. It took 2 people about 11 hours to install, so I believe I paid a very fair wage. I got the equipment at his cost. I saved over $3000 by doing my homework.

Be very careful when hiring a company...there is a greed factor. My contractor actually told me that to some, having a license in HVAC is a license to steal. Overcharging for adding refrigerant (costs them $11 a lb., some charge $60-80 per pound). Most important thing is to check references and make sure they are licensed. Don't let these guys take extra hard-earned money from you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltidawg

Did you get a labor Warranty? If you need a service call some frigid winter evening, will he come?

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 8:19AM
neohioheatpump

You are right. There alot of hvac companies and even small 1/2 operations that want to make a few thousand dollars profit per job for like 10 hours of work! If you shop around though, you can find licensed contractors that are much more reasonable.
Once you find a reasonable priced licensed contractor who does quality work and is knowledable, save their number and refer them to family and friends.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 9:22AM
Britney80

That was a GREAT price, and with the price of refridgerant going up to $600 per drum, i think my husband cahrges $25 per pound to make it fair, but you are right some charge $70-98 per pound I've seen. Some people think its great to go with big name companies and I am a firm believer that you get a better deal from a smaller company bc as I have said before, they want to please you so that you refer them to others and that you are a repeat customer. We have our own small business so I know how it goes! Glad you didn't get ripped off. I hate to see when people pay 6-8000 for a new unit etc etc.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 2:46PM
Gatorfan818

I have a labor warranty for one year, per SC law. Some outfits were giving me the one year free, but quoted $325 value for something they are required to do for free...

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
Neighbor Finally Upgrades to Heat Pump
My next door neighbor finally took my advice and upgraded...
newtalk2
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
Nozzle size for Oil Burner ??
I have a Slant fin oil furnace that heats my water...
big_al_41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™