Lumber liquidator butcher block counter top fiasco

cschultz1January 13, 2014

Just went to pick up my lumber liquidator 12 foot maple butcher block countertops (bbc) ($360) plus tax, and every joint had a 1/16th to 1/8th gap that was filled with wood filler. Ugliest countertops I have ever seen. When I got my refund they charged me a $72 "restocking fee". I have seen numerouse bbc and these were by far the worst. Even the super cheap Ikea bbc are much nicer than this. There was also a lot of very dark grey and red strips in the bbc that was probably oak. I realize they will not be perfect at this price, but they should at least be nicer than ikea's bbc. Has anyone else had this experience?

Key words:

Ikea vs lumber liquidator, birch, beech, walnut, dark, stain, problems, disappointed, sink, cabinet, farm, kitchen

This post was edited by cschultz1 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 15:32

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjhockeyfan325

I'm just curious why they should be "nicer than ikea's". I don't think of Lumber Liquidators as being higher end than IKEA, plus IKEA probably has better quality control in place.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:00PM
ajc71

Sorry to hear that....you would be much better off with Ikea then Lumber Liquidators

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:10PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

LL's quality is the pits on everything they sell.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:30PM
Lake_Girl

My Ikea oak BB is beautiful! Did you know about the restocking fee? That really stinks.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:34PM
snookums2

You shouldn't have to pay restocking on a defective piece. That's not how bb should be constructed. Maybe try going to corporate. Hope you have a photo.

LL has a terrible reputation (but great sales people). There are separate forums created to handle all the LL problems. Sorry you got mixed up with them.

Agree Ikea does a good job.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 7:29PM
boops2012

Oh no. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I'm planning on using LL butcher block as well so very interested in how this turns out. Can I ask what city?

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 9:14PM
cschultz1

Newnan, GA

They were more expensive than ikea, so I thought they would be a little better. Also, i had read that maple was better for butcher block due to the tight grain. If you give me your email, I will send you a pic and then you can post it, my computer is not allowing to attach the file, but I can send pic from my phone.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 6:29AM
live_wire_oak

I remember a post from a few years ago about LL butcherblock being full of internal voids when it was cut. Their flooring is so questionable that I wouldn't expect much better from their BB.

If you have an industrial supply anywhere near, they often have shop worktops that are inexpensive and rustic looking, but still good quality. I've used McMaster Carr before. You can even get stainless or oak tops too as well as the maple.

Here is a link that might be useful: McMaster Carr

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 10:06AM
writersblock

>I remember a post from a few years ago about LL butcherblock being full of internal voids when it was cut.

Yes, that was Poor Owner's kitchen, IIRC.

However, in fairness should be said there have been complaints about Ikea bb recently, too, and it appears they are moving mostly to a horrid particle-board-wrapped-in-wood product (Akerby). Numerar (the solid BB) is getting pretty hard to find, alas. Grab it while you can.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 10:13AM
nosoccermom

Send their corporate office (attn.: CEO) a friendly letter asking for a reimbursement of the stocking fee, and include the picture. Tell them you hope this can be resolved; otherwise you'll report them to BBB, your county's consumer affairs, and if all fails, take them to small claims court (depending on how much the filing fee is).

Here is a link that might be useful: small print at LL

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 18:11

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 12:09PM
pdx7700

Great advise so far. If you paid with a credit card, I would also start a complaint process through them. Most cards have consumer friendly policies.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 3:54PM
Trebruchet

The saddest thing about the fill in the picture is that it is completely avoidable. They didn't use the proper saw blade for crosscutting or didn't support the piece as it was cut or both. Tear-out is something you learn about in 8th grade shop class.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 6:53PM
live_wire_oak

"Tear-out is something you learn about in 8th grade shop class."

Yeah, but I don't think they have 8th grade shop class in China.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 7:23PM
snookums2

What a joke. Consumer Affairs?

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 7:27PM
juliekcmo

I would wonder if that counter in that condition would even be food-safe?

Go to the John Boos website to read about NSF rated hard rock maple butcher block (it's awesome) to get some background info to base your complaints to LL.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Kohler Stages Sink: review after 6 weeks of use
There have been some threads here regarding the Kohler...
rjr220
Do upper super Susan shelves obstruct view?
The 42" tall upper corner cabinet was drilled...
tea4all
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
what's an acceptable level of "off"
cabinets are going in need to know what's ok with regard...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Gray Square Two-Tier Display Stand
$19.99 | zulily
Samantha Counter Stool
Home Decorators Collection
Premier Copper Products Brass Oil Rubbed Bronze Soap and Lotion Dispenser
Overstock.com
Daytona 71" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espresso w/ Drawe
Modern Bathroom
Euro Style Forest Adjustable Bar Stool Walnut - 03490
$441.00 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Chevron Riviera Counter Stool
Serena & Lily
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 42 in. Vanity in White with Solid-Surface
Home Depot
Bradenton Backless Bar Stool (30"H seat) - Chocolate
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™