White Star shaped squash?

riverrat1June 11, 2009

I had errands to run yesterday and when I drove up to the house I saw a bag hanging on the door. It was full of garden vegetables! Tomatoes, cucks, zucchini, beans and these white star shaped vegetables. I've never had these before so I'm not sure the correct way to handle/cook them. I still don't know who dropped the veggies at my door but I'm sooooo grateful ;-)

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

RR, could they be pattypan (used to be called a scallop) squash? Very popular here, and they can be sliced and grilled, stir fried, hollowed out and stuffed, then baked. They're very pretty.

C'mon, post a picture and make it easy, LOL!

Annie

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:30AM
lindac

sounds to me like patty pan too....just cook in any way that you would cook a zuchinni or a yellow squash.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:32AM
riverrat1

Here ya go! Aren't they pretty...almost looks like a flower bud. They seem to be extremly hard on the outside. Kinda like an Acorn Squash. Are they ripe? LOL! I really have never had these before.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:44AM
annie1992

Oh yeah, RR, those are pattypan squash. If they are hard on the outside they might be even a little bit over-ripe.

My girls liked it if I just cut them in half (take a slice off the bottom so it will sit flat if necessary, then scoop out some of the middle, saute that with some bread crumbs, cheese, italian sausage if we had it, then stuff it back in and bake the squash. We added onions, parsley, basil, mushrooms, garlic, whatever was on hand and tasted good. (grin)

As LindaC mentioned, they can be used nearly any way you could use zucchini or the yellow crookneck summer squash while they are young and tender, but if the skin is tough, you might want to peel them and treat them more like a winter squash.

Annie

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:50AM
riverrat1

Thanks Annie and Linda for the quick response. I'll try them tonight, stuffed, like you said Annie.

I love "new" to me vegetables.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:54AM
Rusty

What a nice surprise to come home to! Here's another idea, but you will lose the nice, attractive shape.

Dice some bacon, & fry until crispy. Remove from pan. Add diced squash (bite sized pieces), & some diced onion. When tender, add a can of diced tomatoes, simmer for a couple of minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste, if desired. Add the crisp bacon just before serving.

This makes a very pretty & colorful dish if you use a combination of yellow squash, zuchinni, and the patty pan, but it is good with any one of them alone, or any combination.
Rusty

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Help me speak "mexican"
I have little familiarity with Mexican food...or the...
Annie Deighnaugh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™