Small electric cheese grater reccommndations?

Madeline616June 21, 2013

Hello,

I'm looking for a small, easy to clean (with as many dishwasher safe parts as possible) electric cheese grater.

I need it to grate hard Parmesan cheese, into a very fine texture (like the size of large grains of sand or fine gravel).

I've been using the Magic Bullet, but it burns out quickly, is incredibly noisy, and just doesn't operate that smoothly for the Parmesan. It's easy to clean, though, with the plastic done fitting easily into the DW upper rack (the blade part I hand wash).

I'm looking for something small, because when just a couple of us are eating, I don't want to pull out the big food processor to grate just 1/2 cup or so of cheese.

I know the Salad Shooter grates, but the long thin shreds it makes aren't what I'm going for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Madeline :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

I just use a microplane. No mess, no fuss, easy wash up, takes up little space.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 11:17AM
publickman

If you have a KA mixer, you can buy a grater attachment for it, which is what I use, and it works great on Parmesan, although I also often use the Microplane, like Colleen. However, if I want to grate a lot of Parmesan, it is much easier to use the KA attachment. It is also very easy to clean, usually just with a damp cloth, although I put the grater part into the DW.

You might be able to find a small food processor that has a grating wheel, but I do not know of one, other than the adapter for the large Cuisinart.

Lars

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 1:26PM
publickman

If you have a KA mixer, you can buy a grater attachment for it, which is what I use, and it works great on Parmesan, although I also often use the Microplane, like Colleen. However, if I want to grate a lot of Parmesan, it is much easier to use the KA attachment. It is also very easy to clean, usually just with a damp cloth, although I put the grater part into the DW.

You might be able to find a small food processor that has a grating wheel, but I do not know of one, other than the adapter for the large Cuisinart.

Lars

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 1:27PM
Islay_Corbel

This does exactly what you want but it's ridiculously expensive from amazon.com I bet it would be cheaper to get one from Amazon.fr and pay the shipping!

Here is a link that might be useful: grater

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 2:43AM
publickman

I put a link below to a U.S. seller for the same item, but it is still made in France, and the voltage is not listed. If you want to buy it, you should confirm voltage first. If you order it from Amazon.fr, it would almost certainly be 220/240 volts and would need an adapter.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Version of T-fal grater

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:15PM
Madeline616

Thank you both so much! This is great. Looks like just what I need.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:37PM
sally2_gw

I saw an episode of The Barefoot Contessa where Ina Garten "grated" parm in her food processor. She just put a chunk in with the blade attachment and processed it till it was a fine texture. I've only done it once, when I needed a lot, but I try to find recipes that don't use quite so much, due to the expense of good parm.

Sally

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:45AM
Madeline616

Hi Sally,

Yes, I love using the food processor to grate larger amounts. I learned that from Barefoot Contessa, too :)

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
Help me speak "mexican"
I have little familiarity with Mexican food...or the...
Annie Deighnaugh
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Substitutions that turned out better than the "real thing?"
Hi, all. The other day I wanted one of my "go-to"...
kiwigem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™