Help with HVAC estimates

elaineycabaneySeptember 6, 2012

Quotes for my 1300 sq ft single story Brick 1928 home. Old windows and insulated attic only:

CONTRACTOR #1

A) Goodman GSZ13036 (heat pump)

Goodman CHPF36

Goodman GKS9090 (furnace)

Size KW

BTU/SEER rating 3 ton/13 seer

Programmable Edge thermostat

Hybrid Heat Pump

Total: $5383

B) Carrier 25HBC336 (Heat Pump)

Carrier CNPHP36

Carrier 59SC2A080 (Furnace)

Size KW

3 ton/13 seer

same thermostat as above

Hybrid Heat Pump

Total: $5948

Both include the following:

PVC drain/new pad/new copper lineset/reconnect ductwork to new location in basement/add air filter at unit/reconnect fuel piping/PVC Flue/Reconnect control wiring/Install new Power wiring at indoor breaker box/Mechanical & Electrical permit/Add supply in Kitchen.

CONTRACTOR #2

Amana Model #'s AMH 950703B and CAPF3131B

Seer 13/EER 11.0/AFUE 95%/Btuh Cooling 30,000/Btuh Heating 70,000/CFM 1000

Installation shall include:

Install 2.5 ton a/c wth 70,000 btu natural gas (needs to be converted to propane) furnace and matching A/C coil.

Repair duct work where package unit is, tied in and seal.

Run new line set-flue-thermostat-equipment pad-duct transitionsand labor to complete job.

new low voltage wiring/new reinforced equip pad/new vibration isolation pads/new properly sized refride suction line(s)/evacuate refrig system/charge to manuf. specs/new copper wire/install energy saving thermostat/make air tight plenum transition/new gas piping from existing to unit/new vent pipe & cap/new condensate drain system.

Total $4,500

(I don't believe he figured on relocating the shutoff to the new indoor breaker box...do you think that it's necessary? He also thought that the current 3 ton gas pack unit was oversized. and he'd reinsulate all ductwork. He did not add the new vent for kitchen in his estimate which I will ask for.)

CONTRACTOR #3 never called back, jeez.

Thanks in advance for any advice and questions I should be asking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elaineycabaney

To Clarify:
I live in SC and use propane fuel. Current system is a 3 ton Gas Pack and the compressor is worn out. I have r30 batts in the attic. The contractor didn't realize that he couldn't add soffit vents due to lack of space and the brick exterior. So I have a ridge vent and two gable end vents. I do need additional venting and will most likely add an electric powered gable end fan.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 6:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elaineycabaney

Here are the load calculations that I did on loadcalc.net (thanks for the tip, garden webber) for a Below Average construction regarding tightness (R30 in attic, brick exterior walls w/o insulation, single pane windows with storms)

Total BTU's Cooling: 37006
Total BTU's Heating: 43690
Sensible Load: 33364
Laten Load: 3642

See original posting on 9/6/12 for estimates received, I am also waiting for an American Standard certified installer for a quote, any recommendations are appreciate. My house always smells stale and I noticed there are air filtrations system, however, I am on a budget and don't plan to stay in the house more than three years. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
Why is split ductless so expensive when installed?
Hi, Long time reader, first post. I have a question,...
JHZR2
2 HVAC quotes: need to decide
I'm ignorant of HVAC, but willing to do the research...
davidarcher2
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
Blown in insulation vs spray foam
I am looking for advice. I have a home built in 2000...
mkrafczyk
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Vintage 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 7867
$74.99 | Home Depot
Chocolate Lavish Home Series Sheet Set
$19.99 | zulily
Modway Pulse Office Chair - EEI-756-BLK
$120.99 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay 4-Light Brushed Steel Wave Bar Track Lighting Fixture with Cylinder
$49.97 | Home Depot
TRIBECCA HOME Mendoza Keyhole Back Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Genie Garage Door Opener 4042-TKC
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™