Gray residue when washing pillows?

izeveMay 16, 2011

I washed two king size polyester filled pillows in my LG FL (4.2 ft) this past weekend and when the cycle finished, the entire rubber seal around the washer door as well the glass on the door were covered in strange gray residue. It was the same color as the rubber seal and looked like tiny uniform gray particles suspended in water(not slimey). Some of it rubbed off on the surface of the pillows but came off easily leaving no trace and the pillows were clean otherwise. I washed the pillows on Bulky/Hot/Extra Rinse/Water Plus using Green Works liquid detergent.

I wiped the seal and the glass door very carefully before my next wash and the residue did not reappear (I ran 4 or 5 washes after that at different temps from Warm to Sanitary, using either Vaska or Dixan).

Any idea what this residue could have been???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sshrivastava

Your pillows may have rubbed against the rubber gasket while spinning, creating small rubber shavings that might resemble residue.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 12:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izeve

sshrivastava, you may be right although I thought about that when I saw the residue and inspected the rubber seal as well as the pillows - there was no visible or detectable damage anywhere. I guess if it happens again I will call for service. I washed another load last night and for now things seem to be fine

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
Goodbye Kenmore HE2T/Whirlpool Sport, I hate you!
Im so done with this piece of junk washing machine....
Mark
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
NEW Whirlpool Duet laundry team
Hi Guys, I'm a new blog writer and i review items....
Appliancetoday
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™