Many, many thanks to whoever posted the link to making pancetta!

laceyvailJune 16, 2012

I can buy locally raised heritage breed pork, and I have been making pancetta from the link someone posted a few months back.

OMG! It is so fabulous. And so easy I'm practically embarrassed to take credit for it. Thank so much to whoever posted it.

One tip for others who want to try it. It keeps better wrapped in wax paper rather than a plastic wrap. But, actually, it doesn't last very long in my fridge. I use it too fast.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

lacey, I don't know whose recipe you used, I use the one from Charcuterie and you're right, it's so easy it's amazing. The only problem I had was in the temperature necessary for curing, so we hung it in Elery's basement, mine was a bit too warm.

Regardless of the recipe you used, enjoy it, I know it's delicious!

Annie

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 9:49PM
laceyvail

I should also have added that I didn't use sodium nitrate (or nitrite, whichever it is). Part of the reason for wanting to make it was to avoid that chemical, a known carcinogen. The recipe I used said you could omit it, but the meat would turn gray. Not so, it is a deep rich, reddish brown.

I've been curing it in my pantry closet in the kitchen (no basement here), probably a lot warmer than either your or Elery's basement. All three times, it turned out terrific.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 5:49AM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Lacey, would you please post the recipe or the link.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 11:32AM
arley_gw

is it perhaps this one, by Michael Ruhlman who co-wrote 'Charcuterie'?

Here is a link that might be useful: home cured pancetta

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 12:59PM
annie1992

That's the one I use, arley. I used the coriander and the thyme, but didn't have any juniper berries, so I skipped those.

I have, I think, one piece left in teh freezer, I've definitely got to make more.

I'd also like to try it without the pink salt, lacey, so I'm happy to hear that it worked well and would be interested in the recipe you used. this is the color of mine, was yours similar?

Annie

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 7:24PM
laceyvail

Annie, the color looks very similar. I had to guess on amounts because the site, which is the same one as the posted link above, doesn't say how much the pork belly weighed. I was using pieces that weighed between 1 1/2 and 2 pounds. As it turned out, the recipe is very forgiving. I was sparing with the spices the first time, prodigal with them the third, but each pancetta was delicious.

I never used sodium nitrate/nitrite when I cure tongue or corned beef either, and believe me, they aren't gray. It's a totally unneccessary chemical as far as I'm concerned.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:04AM
annie1992

Thanks, lacey. Elery wants to try bacon with no pink salt too, so that's our next step into charcuterie!

Annie

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
Why can't they leave things alone?
I really don't have the time nor the energy to learn...
doucanoe
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™