ceiling fan in reverse all of a sudden

CavimumSeptember 10, 2011

I hope this is the correct forum area, if not, please advise me where to post this.

We have a 20 - 25 y/o Casablanca ceiling fan, no pull chain, no reverse switch on the housing; only a wall control with three switches for:

LIGHT

FAN

POWER

The fan sometimes goes in reverse after the power is knocked out in the neighborhood, and sometimes rights itself months or weeks later. I once had an electrician fix it while he was out doing something else, and he fiddled with the switches and got it right in a matter of seconds.

Would anyone here be able to tell me how to get this fan going in the correct direction? Thank you.

Below is a link to the Casablanca site. Scroll down and ours is the W-11,12 (which is discontinued).

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of W-11,12 wall control

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

There could be a problem with dirty or poor connections but most times, it is a small capacitor in the unit. It will be a small, usually black, usually rectangular device just about 2 times larger than a zippo lighter inside the housing somewhere. Home Depot, Lowe's, any hardware store carries them. If you do it yourself, make note on paper where the wires are connected, take the unit with you to make sure you get the correct replacement. Most are the same so you shouldn't have an issue there anyhow.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cavimum

@maryland_irisman - Thanks for the suggestion. I am hoping there is a trick to flipping the control switches without having to pull the control panel. Casablanca has a replacement panel with "reverse" and instructions on how to wire it. We're trying to avoid it and jimmie the switches the way the electrician did.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Can a house and cottage share a condenser?
I have a house (1000sf) and cottage (440sf) with about...
aptosca
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™