What is your preference: HP vs Dual Fuel in Southeast?

basilbird2September 12, 2011

Just curious to know, in general, what most people prefer for heating in the Southeast? Last winter, in my location there were 98 days below 38 degrees, and we were cold with our landlord's LOW efficiency heatpump. How many folks are really happy with their heat pumps in the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

The question isn't about efficiency, it is about the unit's heating capabilities and required load. And your question is also not about HP vs DF, but HP alone or HP with Gas Aux since that is what DF is in the first place.

I'm happy with my HP, but I also have a wood insert for colder days.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 2:59PM
tigerdunes

Depends on home, insulation qualities, electric rate vs nat gas rates, and location climate.

The low cost of nat gas at this moment coupled with ever advancing electric rates have made DF and straight HP with air handler less advantageous.of course, many in the South have no choice if in an all electric situation.

Make no mistake though, today's modern HPs do a good job in both heating and cooling.

IMO

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 3:03PM
neohioheatpump

If your home is drafty and badly insulated, you will typically need more heat, and discover the heatpump running alot to maintain the temperature. In a situation like this it won't be as comfy and probably better served with heating with natural gas unless its very mild outside (say above 40).

If your home has efficient windows, attic insulation, and no major draft leaks in doors, the heatpump should keep the home pretty comfy inside down to a colder temp.

My home is older (late 1960's), without wall insulation, but its brick, has great attic insulation, good replacement windows, and sealed some leaks. I find the house is pretty comfy with heatpump heat down to about 25 fahrenheit outdoor temperature.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 3:59PM
david_cary

The SE is a pretty big area. In my area, most have NG alone. But get a little warmer, it changes to HP. DF is for areas with low electric rates which I have.

Of course, most of the SE has low electric rates so either DF or HP are good choices.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Heat Pump in Northern Virginia
Does anyone have advice on which contractors may be...
jbedford004
2 HVAC quotes: need to decide
I'm ignorant of HVAC, but willing to do the research...
davidarcher2
Sponsored Products
Stainless Steel 18-inch Undermount Kitchen Sink
Overstock.com
Visit Locking Wall-Mount Mailbox
Signature Hardware
Fairmont Designs Rustic Chic 21" Vanity & Sink Set - Weathered Oak
Modern Bathroom
Toilets Black Corner High Tank Elongated Toilet L-pipe
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Dessy Two Wall Sconce by WPT Design
$327.25 | Lumens