Advice on Range Vent w/ external blower in High Snowfall area

BrightFutureFoodsSeptember 16, 2011

I'm looking at employing an external blower on the roof to vent my very powerful 48" Capital Range. My concern is that we live in an area of Vermont where 2.5 feet or more of snow on the roof is not uncommon. The roof is pitched but not overly steep so it may hold snow for a while before sliding.

What is generally done to ensure that the blower and vent will not be obstructed by snow?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

An in-line system could probably be used instead if necessary, but still concerned about the vent pipe (likely round 10" duct).

Thanks!

BFF

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juliekcmo

can you mount the blower on the side of the house instead of the roof?

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 7:05PM
BrightFutureFoods

Thanks for your reply Julie,

My range will be located on an interior wall. Venting to an exterior wall, while not impossible, would be difficult, particularly given the low rustic wood beam ceiling in the kitchen. I only have enough room for about 25" of hood and duct to the ceiling, so just making that turn with 10" round duct to vent sideways would take up most of that.

I have to believe people have roof-mounted blower systems in snowy areas of the Country???? I can't seem to find information about this on the hood or ventilation manufacturer websites.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 5:36PM
juliekcmo

I suggest calling a mechanical contractor in your area. Look for one that advertises residential-light commercial.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 10:19PM
ionized_gw

I would be concerned more about ice build-up with repeated melting and freezing than snow blocking the vent.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 2:55PM
BrightFutureFoods

Another good suggestion, Julie. Having a hard time finding someone in this area with that particular expertise.

Ionized...I agree. Wondering what people do with that?

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 3:16PM
ionized_gw

I really don't know, but I have to hypothesize that the air has to exit the vent structure sideways rather than directed down toward the roof surface.

Another method comes to mind, but I don't know if it is practical. You would have to mix outdoor air with the exhaust air to reduce the temp. That would have its own problems since it would be a snow machine.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Navian condensing combi, good or bad?
Hi, I am looking into converting from oil to gas and...
rickyk22
Does anyone have experience with an R6GI?
I'm looking at some options to replace one of my HVAC...
aggieben
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™