Found a house I like, but not the kitchen. Cost to expand?
Cost experts, here's the kitchen in question:
I really just don't like it. Bad layout, too small. And there's plenty of room to expand it.
If you look where the door is, there's a ton of dead space there that could be used. Further down is a solid wall that borders the dining room. You could eliminate that door and have some nice french doors leading outside where the dining room is.
So, here's what I think I could do:
- Where the 30" fridge and stove are right now gets ripped out. Maybe reuse the cabinets above the range or fridge for the relocated range. Make a space there for a 36" fridge and put counter-depth cabinets around and on top of it for "pantry"-type storage. No countertops needed, obviously, as it's all cabinets
- Rip out the island, it's ugly and takes up a lot of room. Would probably have to do some refinishing on the floor under it, or install new floor if there's nothing there.
- Where the door is now is where the range now goes. On the right of the relocated range are more cabinets. An exterior hood vent is also established (easier to do since the door is being ripped out there). Use the granite from the retired island for the countertops at the end. So no new granite is needed for the project. Yes, there is a big enough slab of granite on the island that can't be seen in this photo.
- Since it'll be potentially impossible to match new cabinet faces with old, even if we do figure out the manufacturer and they still make those cabinets (house was built in 2005): Reface ALL cabinets. Probably same finish as current, unless the 'boxes' can be stained darker. Shaker style full overlay with contemporary handles.
- Totally optional would be a new, better placed island if budget permits.
So, other than the cost of appliances, can anyone take a rough guess as to how much this would cost?
I see the following challenges:
- Removing exterior door and framing, insulating, and drywalling empty space
- Creating new french doors in existing wall.
- New cabinets where fridge/stove currently exist, new cabinets where range will be relocated.
- Removing island, considering flooring.
- Taking granite from island and recutting for extra counterspace
- New cabinet faces and hardware.
Can anyone take a ROUGH ballpark as to where this might land in budget WITHOUT appliances? It'd be good to know deciding whether or not to buy and go through with this, and also in negotiating with the seller.
Keep in mind I am a member of Direct Buy, so I can get many cabinet products at cost, as well as flooring if needed.
I was figuring $20k worst case scenario. Am I low or high?