New Build HVAC advice - Gas, Heat Pump, or Hybrid?
Our new build will be blown door tested, energy rated & certified by Earthcraft.
* Located in Central VA - Midatlantic region.
* Usually get mid-40's winters & 90's late spring to mid-August.
* 2x a decade we will get a blast of artic air stringing together several 0 degree days (thinking this year -LOL!).
* I hate humidity - am the polar bear in the family; wife hates cold.
* 2900 sf house
Builder say most of the HVAC contractors bidding for our build are recommending Heat Pump in the 18+ SEER & 9.5 HSPF.
1) Read the HP are great a higher temps but worse below lower temps - true?
2) Can a high efficient HP only provide the performance each of us needs?
3) Would a HP + Gas backup be more optimal?
4) Would #2 be more costly I'd imagine? By how much?