Best way to insulate with a furnace in the attic

techedSeptember 16, 2011

Hello, I have never posted in this forum, but I am not new to GardenWeb. I am hoping the collective wisdom in this forum can help me in a new situation.

We just purchased a home in northern Illinois. There are 2 attics and 2 furnaces. Both furnaces were replaced in 2010. The older part of the home has a larger attic with maybe R3 of old rockwool. The furnace is in the basement. The newer part of the home has a small attic with maybe R15 of rolled fiberglass. The furnace is in the attic here. Both attics have some duct work (which is encapsulated in insulation).

We know we need to insulate. I have talked to traditional (blow in fiberglass) and spray foam contractors. The roofer says the spray foam will reduce the life of the roof. I'm worried about that furnace in the attic. I sort of think we should spray foam that attic space because it seems to me that the furnace should be in an "indoor" space. Of course, spray foam is very expensive, so I am not sure I want to spring for it in the larger attic, which could be addressed with traditional insulation.

What do you all think? Should I worry about the furnace in the attic? If we insulate to R60, that attic is going to be mighty cold in the in winter and hot in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Though you do not state it specifically, you appear to be considering sealing up the attic and foaming under the roof deck. The roofer that says that will reduce the life of the shingles is full of it, but most all of them say that. It might increase the temp of the shingles a little, but they are already hot and will not get that much hotter.

I can not comment on the wisdom of sealing the attic in your climate. It is advised where it is hot and humid on the Gulf of Mexico coast. Sealing the attic would transform your attic from outside to inside and cut duct losses. In addition, it makes all those leaks between the living space and attic largely irrelevant, holes drilled for cables, can lights, etc. It could, however, cause moisture problems. You see, in my climate, the excess moisture is almost always outside. In the winter, where you live, it can be inside. Go to buildingscience.com and see what you can find about sealed attics in your climate.

You are right to worry about your furnace. Unless it has its own air intake direct to the combustion chamber, you need to supply outside air if you seal the attic. Fortunately, there is an easy solution. An interlocked fresh air damper can be installed. These devices will not allow the furnace to start unless the damper is in the open position.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 3:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

You can build a small enclosure around the furnace with rigid foam insulation, then pick up the insulation on the ceiling inside the enclosure.

This puts the furnace in at least semi-conditioned space.

If the furnace is a fuel burning one be sure you provide air for combustion.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™