Bryant Evolution 16 or Trane XL15i? XL20i?

wakkoSeptember 12, 2011

just wondering if all is equal and the installation were good for both contractors, what would be the better system to install?

Bryant Evolution 16 or a Trane XL15i or XL20i?

Condenser 286BNA048

Air Handler FE4AN(B,F)005

Aux Heat CE0501N08

Tstat SYS-UI

SEER 16.0

EER 12.6

HSPF 9.1

AHRI #3749068

XL20i with tam7 air handler

Condenser 4TWZ0048E1

Air Handler TAM7A0A48

Aux Heat BAYEVAC10

Tstat XL900

SEER 18

EER 12.5

HSPF 9.5

AHRI # 4385659

I do plan on getting the perfect fit filter, getting them to run a manual J as well as do some weatherization.

Which would save more money over time? or are there better bryant evolution systems? Scroll compressor vs the 2 compressors in Trane's unit? Benefit of either?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

wakko

What is your location?

Both are top end systems.

I really like Trane's XL20i better than the Evolution 16 mainly because of the electronic demand defrost feature.

I do encourage you to get a staged heat strip for aux and backup heat.

Trane's XL 20i has a 50/100 split on low and high stg. The Bryant system has a 66/100 split.

You would be happy with either system.

IMO

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 12:41PM
wakko

Austin, TX. Is the 66/100 split more effective? I heard of people trying to downsize equipment, when is it more effective to downsize and any drawbacks? does it just take too long to cool down?

Does anyone have any information on the Bryant 285B Evolution? It's a single stage evolution system that i saw on the AHRI directory.

AHRI 3708086
285BNA042
FE4ANB006+UI
16 SEER
13 EER
9.0 HSPF

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 5:05PM
weedmeister

I not sure what you mean by 'effective'. More effective at saving electricity or more effective at cooling or more effective at humidity removal?

With a 4-ton system, a 50/100 will give you 2 tons of cooling at stage one and 4 tons at stage two. With a 66/100 system you will get 2.67 ton of cooling on stage one.

So the question is how much do you really need. That always depends on the situation (outside temp, sun load, etc) at the time. Eventually the thermostat will determine whether to kick in to stage two if the inside temperature is not coming down quick enough.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 6:04PM
tigerdunes

Wakko

What size are you replacing?

What's the price difference between the sgl stage Evolution and two stg Evolution? Versus the two stg XL20i?

Your question about downsizing is confusing. Cooling and heating loads determine the size you require. I certainly don't won't to be borderline or undersized in your area/summer climate.

IMO

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 6:28PM
wakko

Weedmeister - more effective @ cooling. and i guess in the summers it does get up to 100, this summer maybe extreme but it's been in the hundreds for a good 3 months.

it's replacing a 4ton system. I'm not too sure what the difference in price is between the evolution single stage vs 2 stage since i just noticed that system on the ahri website. what would be a good difference to take a single stage?

the xl20i with tam7 is $700 more expensive than the evolution 16 (2 stage)
xl20i $9692
evo 16 2 stage $9087

downsize was based on sometimes after a manual J, the load could still be over compensated just a little bit. I plan on making some improvements made to the house like solar screens. Anyone know how much this helps? And sealing up a 15% leakage in the ducts. (15% leakage was determined in 2009 prior to us buying the house)

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
waterguytexas
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
Thoughts on proposed HVAC system?
To start: my house is two-level (main plus upper)...
gbleeker
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Bryant Sconce
Serena & Lily
Bryant Park Hanging Hammered Copper Bird House - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Quoizel Bryant Bronze Patina Tiffany Style Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Standard Furniture Bryant Sideboard in Black
Beyond Stores
AHB Bryant 24 in. Counter Stool - Espresso - Set of 2 - 124766ES-L15
$599.90 | Hayneedle