Country of Origin of Whirlpool Duet washer/dryers

overhearMay 9, 2012

I am in the market for a stacked pair of front-loaders for my 2nd floor laundry closet. Because I only have about 34" in depth, I am looking at the medium-capacity Whirlpool Duet washers, which are 30 1/2" deep. (The models are WFW9151YW and WFW9351Y.)

I'm seeing lots of references on this forum to the Whirlpool Sport models being made in Mexico, but I don't see any models named "Sport" on the current Whirlpool website.

Does anyone know where the various Whirlpool models are currently being manufactured and assembled?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark40511

I think that the top of the line series Duets are made in Ohio (but not sure if the parts/components are) or if they are just assembled there or what. I think the lower end Duets are made elsewhere. Some Duets used to be made in Germany, but I learned that plant closed.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 7:36AM
joe_in_philly

3.5 cu. ft. are made in Mexico

3.8 and 3.9 cu. ft. are made in Germany

4.3 cu. ft. are made in the USA

I don't know where the 2.0 cu. ft. is made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Front Load Washers

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:25PM
overhear

Thanks very much Joe. That's good to know.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:27PM
drewem

I currently have Whirlpool Duets and they do shake and vibrate a lot. Going with Electrolux in the new house. Check them out, they have a 2nd floor guarantee.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 12:39PM
overhear

Drewem, Thanks for your thoughts. Which Electrolux models are you considering? Also, I'm curious: Are your Duets stacked? I'm wondering how that affects vibration.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 4:12PM
drewem

No they aren't stacked. In the beginning they were quiet, not so much anymore! Sounds like an airport in here when they are in the spin cycle, and shakes the kitchen table! They are downstairs, cannot imagine them upstairs.

Looking at the large Elux- 4.4 cu feet, don't know the color yet, debating between Stainless, Red, or classic White. Model number varies between colors, but ewfls70J, they are on the Electrolux website. I also saw a good review of them in this forum! I like quiet, in a house of loud children.

Other than that I've had no problems with the Duets. Just remember to keep the door open after each cycle, and crack open the soap dispenser, and run the clean wash cycle every so often then you will not have smell or mold issues.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 8:53AM
asolo

@drewem.....

Suggest you check the weight-bearing of the feet on that washer. The machine has excellent suspension components. I suspect your shaking directly related to their not bearing equally or nearly-equally on their supporting feet. That's what it usually is. Among friends/family/neighbors I've turned quite a few shakers into very smooth machines by tweaking just one of the front feet while spinning under load. I have Duet myself. It is smooth. It wasn't until I made the adjustment seven years ago. Hasn't changed since.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:55AM
drewem

Ok, thanks!

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 3:14PM
mark40511

Joe-

Thanks for that info. I recall reading someone mention that the plant in Germany that built WP FL washer closed. I don't know, maybe it was a dream or something.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 4:08PM
whirlpool_trainee

No dream - the plant over were did close in January.

Alex

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 5:03PM
mark40511

It did? So then no WP machines are made in Germany now? Or is it just a different plant?

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
Do any of you use Ammonia in your laundry?
A friend of mine says she uses ammonia in her wash...
mark40511
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™