Thermostat remote sensor location

ricanmdSeptember 22, 2011

I am installing a wood stove centrally in my 2600 sq. ft. ranch (1floor) house. In the same room as my thermostat, very open kitchen, 500+ square foot. I purchased a Honeywell thermostat that cycles the furnace fan periodically to circulate the wood stove heat throughout the house. I can also connect remote temperature sensors to this thermostat. I was planning on putting a remote sensor at the far ends of the house to have the furnace turn on if those areas get to cold. One in a bedroom and one in the family room. Both sensors will not be exposed to outside facing doors. The only caveat is that the far bedroom I was planning to put a sensor has always been a cold room according to my family, also this room is the farthest from the furnace running the length of the duct work. My questions are is this a workable plan and is it a good idea to put a sensor in that room or in the hallway just out side.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

If the room was always cold, and you place a t-stat sensor in there set to the same temp as all of the others, the other rooms will probably get too warm. These are just sensors and not independently-setable, right?

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 2:54PM
dan_martyn

ricanmd,

Normally bedrooms are kept cooler than any other room in the house, makes for better sleeping conditions. If you have a hallway leading to that farthest bedroom, I tend to believe this would be a good place to mount a sensor. The more sensor you place, the greater tendancy that other rooms will over heat. The only problem with mounting a sensor in a hallway, my builder placed the thermostat at the beginning of my hallway and every night when I go to bed, I pass the thermostat and by the time I reach my bedroom at the end of the hallway, the furnace clicks on as I am passing through the doorway. What I am saying is that if you place a thermostat or sensor where there is air movement past it, it may trigger the furnace to come on sooner than what is needed.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 1:43PM
weedmeister

How does the thermostat weigh the various sensors? Are they all averaged or does it give attention to one more than others?

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Opinions please Mitsubishi M - S E R I E S H I G H P E R F O R M A N C
Our HVAC guy is suggesting this for a complete system...
almostemptynester
2 HVAC quotes: need to decide
I'm ignorant of HVAC, but willing to do the research...
davidarcher2
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™