Opinions - switch r410 or replace r22

nextchapterSeptember 9, 2011

The compressor in my 2.5 ton 12 seer R22 Nordyne heat pump installed in 12/05 (past the 5 year warranty) needs to be replaced (it is tripping the breaker). I have been quoted a price of $1800 to fix the compressor or $2500 to install a new Payne 2.5 13 Seer R22 unit. (I also have a 3.0 ton Nordyne 13 Seer R22 installed in 4/09 (manufactored in 07) - that is working fine for now) I paid $4000 for two Payne air handlers in 11/09 and they have a 10 year warranty. I will be in this house for 5 years or less. It doesn't make sense to replace just the compressor on an out of warranty unit. Should I install the Payne R22 for $2500 or should I replace the broken outdoor unit and 2 year old indoor unit switching to R410 (keeping the other outdoor/indoor as is until they break).

I have been quoted the following prices.

$5000 Payne 2.5 ton 15 Seer R410

$6000 Carrier 2.5 ton 15 Seer R410

I live in a Washington, DC suburb with a high cost of living so I do think these prices are good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

It is a crap shoot either way. How long will your indoor coil last? I had one Armstrong coil that was 42 years old when replaced this Summer- and have no reason to believe that it was failed. For a 5 year old system, I would replace the outdoor unit and put filters on the refrigerant lines. HVAC is not my trade, I am just a consumer.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 10:05AM
heatseeker

bus driving is his trade but he's right , go with the r-22 and keep it the way it is.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 1:17PM
nextchapter

Thanks! If I replace the broken unit with another r22 will I be able to get freon in the future? How much longer will my 3.0 unit keep working? What if R22 isn't available in a year or so when it breaks? Do I bite the bullet now and switch the broken one to 410 and assume the other will last only a few more years and switch that one then. I have paid $8000 since 2005 on this equipment. Do I spend another $2500 on an R22 unit and hope to get 5 years out of it?

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 1:42PM
bus_driver

R-22 supposedly will be available until 2020- someone correct me if this is wrong. I can by no means assure you that electricity (I do know a little about that) will be available in 2020 to operate your unit, irrespective of the refrigerant.

Here is a link that might be useful: R-22

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 6:29PM
nextchapter

Bus Driver - Thank you! Excellent info regarding R22. I am leaning towards getting another R22 unit.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 6:36PM
juliekcmo

Also would add to other lurkers out there that the a main reason in your situations the R22 makes sense is that you have a 12 SEER coil.

If you had an older systems with a 10 SEER or lower coil, you would risk freezing up the coil if you replaced with a new "dry" R22 system. That is because the new systems do use the old refrigerant, but they still have to meet current SEER efficiencies.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 7:38PM
nextchapter

Both of my air handlers installed in 11/09 are 13 seer. Not sure what the old ones were. I now know they should match. Maybe this is why the compressor on the 12 seer outside unit only lasted for just over 5 years.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 7:55PM
bus_driver

I am not sure that was the cause of the failure. My Trane XR-12 (From memory, I did not go outside to look) outside units are Seer 11, 12 or 13 depending on the coil and other indoor equipment used.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Natural gas air conditioning
Does anyone have experience with the newer residential...
blueyebear
Seeking input on HVAC replacement
I am getting ready to do a full replacement. Current...
daddio76
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Honeywell th6320R Thermostat
My Honeywell TH6320R thermostat (communicating with...
zver11
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
waterguytexas
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Kids SFK314A Area Rug Multicolor - SFK314A-2
$54.99 | Hayneedle
Steve Jobs Laser Engraved Framed Tribute
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Leslie Wire Storage Baskets - Set of 3
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
Newbury Wire Baskets - Set of 3
$147.99 | Dot & Bo
Linon Capri Area Rug - Beige - 4.25 x 7.25 ft. - RUG-BC0857
$45.00 | Hayneedle