MayTag warranty worth it?

paulgp602May 4, 2008

Hi, Maytag has an extended warranty directly from them for $191 for 3 years. Is this worth it for a front loader I just purchased? It is the Epic 9700sq1. Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
regus_patoff

Get 50% off your first SquareTrade warranty for an item bought at a retailer store!

It's now easier than ever, with 3 easy ways to get a quote in minutes:

* Option 1. Email us from your desk!
For online purchases, forward your receipt to buy@squaretrade.com

* Option 2. Fax us from your office!
Fax your store receipt to us at (888) 939-9098. Please include your email address.

* Option 3. Call us from the store!
Call us toll-free at (800) 649-5307. It takes 2 minutes on average!

If you send us your receipt, we will send you a quote for your item, so you can decide if the warranty price is right for you. Your warranty is just 2 clicks away, and you can use your promo code for significant savings!

You'll get the only warranty service consistently rated 5-stars on Amazon.com.

Get a warranty now (Coupon Code: FIFTYOFF)

50% discount offer is valid through 11:59pm PST December 31, 2008 at http://www.squaretrade.com
Offer is valid for warranties for items purchased from a retailer, and to residents of the U.S. Your requested quote will be delivered promptly during normal business hours. Please see site for full details.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 12:32PM
olympiceagle

FWIW, Consumer Reports in their February 2008 issue rated "Maytag was the most repair-prone front-loading washer" of washers purchased between 2003 and 2007. Whirlpool, LG, Kenmore, GE, Frigidaire, and Bosch scored between a low of 9% and a high of 12% of their machines repaired. Maytag scored 17%.

Just another piece of info to consider.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 1:46PM
dadoes

Maytag machines covered by that CR report were very different mechanisms from what's on the market now. The Maytag you buy now IS a Whirlpool. The Epic IS what was the KitchenAid Ensemble, which is a sibling to Whirlpool's Duet and Kenmore's HE3/4/5 frontloader.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 2:37PM
neesie

I will not be buying any Maytag appliances in the future. In our early married years we had a set that lasted us over twenty years. Then we bought another set (no it wasn't a front loader) and we have had the washing machine repaired two times in three years. The dryer never dries on the first "run through". I am constantly calling down to my son to "twist" the dryer again. It used to dry a load in about 45 minutes. Now it takes an entire afternoon! I asked the Maytage repairman the last time he was here why that was. He said, and I quote, "they just don't make 'em like they used to." Meaning, if they don't break down he don't make money. Also, it has something to do with being energy efficient.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 8:32PM
mayguy

Get the warranty, no matter what the brands are! I got it on my front loader, ($90 at Home Depot for 4 years), and will give me a piece of mind for the next 5 years if anything go wrong.

You'll be happy with them.. I love that I can dry 9 pairs of jeans in 35 to 40 minutes. (Now hang all my laudry out in the summer to save on gas even more)

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 11:08PM
minac

I don't think they make washer and dryers to last 20 years anymore so for your peace of mind you probably want to get the extended warranty. We had our Maytag - less than 5 years old stop going into spin cycle - though to be honest - the spin cycle was never 100% reliable from early on. We got the 5 year warranty on our Whirlpool washer so hopefully we don't have to budget for repairs or replacing a washer/dryer in the next five years.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 11:37PM
frank_knarf_com

Note that the Maytag warranty essentially only lasts 1 year now. Year 2-10 only covers the motor & wash basket, and you pay the labor.

See link for yourself, from their own website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag Warranty

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Laundry room
I have been digging through the forums but am still...
mwinfield
New Electrolux washing machine
Hi, I just got a new 70 series front load washer. When...
hollowayl
Need help with LR/Mudroom/PR arrangement
We are breaking ground in 3-4 weeks and we still haven't...
daboyd4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™