Wiring

TotsieSeptember 16, 2013

Have 2 new Carrier Infinity Systems installed-noticed they are have a wire that connects them together-0ld units did not share any wiring-what is the need for them to be wired together -each have their own thermostat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

I have the same set up. I don't have any shared wiring.

Do you have two 24 volt transformers? Perhaps the installer is only using one transformer for both systems.

Are the two systems using a common return?

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 9:24AM
Totsie

Mike-24 Volt Transformer don't know what that is-or what to check to answer that question..but is that ok if that is going to be their explanation I have a call into them now? Plus I think the wifi has been a problem server always seem to be down have u experienced the same?

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 11:48AM
mike_home

I take back my earlier idea. I looked at my installation closely to satisfy my curiosity. It turns out my Infinity furnaces have built in 24 volt transformers. I assume yours also has this feature.

The thermostat runs off a 24 volt supply. Usually it is mounted externally.

My Infinity controllers are 4 years old and do not have Wifi.

My only thinking is the installer wants the furnaces to communicate with each other. That is why I was asking if you have a common return. Have you seen both systems operate at the same time?

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 12:34PM
Totsie

Don't quite understand their explanation- seems "extra " wires something to do with thermostat I believe so instead of "pulling" a wire they connected them to the other unit ..however I have requested they "pull new line because I don't want them together..they have agreed.. See photo any thoughts thanks

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:19PM
Ibewye

I'm guessing your referring to the set of metal-clad aluminum cables that are running out of the condenser. Normally MC is used for 120-240 volt circuits so they may be sharing the same circuit to feed both units however this poses several other questions. Do you have a disconnect mounted next to the condensers to shut power off to them? MC cable is not permitted for use outside- you should have liquid tight flexible conduit or Carlon as it is commonly referred too, run from a disconnect which is then from inside, then from the disconnect-out the bottom with a loop down and then back up into bottom of conndenser. Last but not least the MC cable is available in multiple sizes but is normally #12 awg, which is sized for a 2-pole 20 amp breaker. I believe if it were #10 the aluminum jacket would be a different color and would be suitable for a 2-pole 30 amp breaker.
I apologize if I was completely wrong about the setup you have, just to trying to help out with what I noticed. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
2 HVAC quotes: need to decide
I'm ignorant of HVAC, but willing to do the research...
davidarcher2
Moving floor vent to toekick area
Hello. We are renovating our kitchen as well as baths...
cathy725
Geothermal in new construction.
Our house is currently under construction, and while...
bethmcg
Seeking input on HVAC replacement
I am getting ready to do a full replacement. Current...
daddio76
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
Sponsored Products
Kinetic Collection Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
8" Halogen Counter Attack Non-Linking Under Cabinet Light
Euro Style Lighting
Kurt Adler 7-foot Pre-lit Big Cone Needle Pine Tree
Overstock.com
WW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Sonneman | Gotham 1 Light Panel Wall Sconce
$230.00 | YLighting