Guidance with Kitchen refresh
My wife and I have decided to update our kitchen. ItÃ¯Â¿Â½s currently dark and kind of dreary. We want it to be fresh, bright, and quiet, like so many of the beautiful kitchens we see here.
Our budget is ($5000), which I know is tiny. The house is only 8 years old, and we will be moving in 5-7 years. We are unwilling to go into debt or drain our savings for this project. Fortunately we are pretty accomplished DIYers. Between the two of us we can build, sew, paint, refinish, or install most anything.
I would love for the experienced minds on GW to look over our game plan and selections and let me know if we are making any mistakes, forgetting anything, could do anything better, etc. Our plan is as follows:
- No structural or layout changes. Not in the budget.
2. Cabinets are not high-end, but are well made and in good shape. We are planning to add crown molding, build open shelving beside pantry cabinet, and paint them a creamy off-white. Brushed nickel hardware can probably stay.
3. Replacing laminate counters with granite, probably Kashmir White or a similar stone whose name escapes me (see picture). Also a SS undermount sink. This will be the biggest chunk of our budget ($2100) and the only thing we wonÃ¯Â¿Â½t DIY. Fortunately we have a nice nickel bridge faucet I put in a few years ago which can stay.
4. Appliances arenÃ¯Â¿Â½t luxury models, but are SS and in great shape. They will stay.
5. Replacing vinyl floor with mahogany wood floors (carried in from the rest of the house).
6. Backsplash TBD after counters are installed and cabinets painted.
7. Paint kitchen walls either Perfect Greige or Versatile Gray from SW. I would love input here.
8. New kitchen table (DW found a beautiful Farmhouse table on Craigslist for $30). Will be refinished or painted TBD. Inheriting 2 very old ladder back chairs from MIL that will also be refinished. Building a banquette under the window.
9. New light fixture over table.
- New window treatments, cushions, artwork, accessories TBD. De-clutter countertops.
Below is a picture of our current kitchen and a picture of our selections thus far (floor, cabinet paint, counter top, 2 wall paint choices). Your input is much appreciated!