More Awesome Cooking News!

moonwolf_gwMay 9, 2012

Hi everyone,

Today, my gram (the same one as always LOL), gave me an old cast iron skillet of hers that she doesn't use anymore. It's smaller than the one I bought from Wal-Mart, but I love it!

We'll also be getting a new stove! One with the flat burners, to replace our old electric type. I will let everyone know when it gets here. I had only one problem with it, but I think I found the solution. My canner only can be used on electric or gas stoves, but, would a deep stock pot with a rack formed from jar bands or an old cake/cooling rack would do the trick?

The final bit of good news is, tomorrow for supper, we'll be having the Oven Baked Pork Chops With Hash Browns. I'll share pictures!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Pork Chops sound really good Brad.

I canned for years with a soup pot and a dish towel in the bottom. The dish towel would float up until I got jars on top of it, LOL, and a rack would work a LOT better. Any pot will work for canning as long as it's deep enough to get a couple of inches of water over top of the jars.

I have a gas stove, I think you're talking about the smooth topped electric stoves, and I don't have any experience with that, but a new stove is usually pretty much always a great thing.

Happy cooking, and canning. Old cast iron is the best stuff, way better than the new stuff usually. Hug your Gram extra hard for that pan!

Annie

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 11:36PM
moonwolf_gw

Hi Annie,

Yes those are the stoves I'm talking about! :-). LOL I heard people had that problem when they would use a dish towel in place of a canning rack. I, sadly, haven't done much canning and mom doesn't care for it LOL. So I just might give my canner to my sister and her family and I can help them do it whenever they want. I found a couple of canning recipes that I'd think she'd like: Strawberry Jam and Watermelon Jelly!

Oh I gave her a big old hug (we all did actually LOL) when I saw her today. It was a nice afternoon.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 11:50PM
slowlane

Congratulations on the "new" skillet, Brad! I love having multiple sizes of those.

As for the canner, I use mine on my smooth surface stove and have never had any trouble. I even called the manufacturer of my stove before I tried it, and they said I could do it with no problem :)

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 9:50PM
moonwolf_gw

Hi slowlane,

Thank you! I may not use them for a while since I read cast iron on glass stoves is not recommended. I am thrilled to hear the news about the canner! Our new one is a Frigidare. It'll be here Wednesday afternoon! :-)

Speaking of canning, I'm going to have to talk to my sister and see if she's interested in canning. I have been looking over/gathering some recipes for her that I'd think she'd like. I have Strawberry Jam, Blueberry Jam, Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Jelly, Bread and Butter Pickles, Dill Pickles, and Piccalilli or Green Tomato Relish.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 12:59PM
happyintexas

I use cast iron on my smooth top stove all the time. Not a problem for cooking or for scratching up the surface. It's all good here.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Key Lime Pie Topping Help?
I had never made a Key Lime Pie or a Graham Cracker...
chas045
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
Sponsored Products
Serge Mouille - Floor Lamp 3 Arms
Design Within Reach
White and Chrome Toilet Paper Holder with Cover
TheBathOutlet
Solaris Olde Silver Six-Light Chandelier
$398.00 | Bellacor
Novelty Lamps: NCAA 8 in. Penn State Nittany Lions Neon Helmet Lamp 142599.0
$39.99 | Home Depot
Hyper Blue 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus