return duct in heat pump system

carl883August 20, 2010

I put a return duct in the basement this summer and i have more air flow , My question by me putting this return duct in the basement will the cold air in the basement interfer

with the heat pump this winter. no heat in the basement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

carl

if the basement is enclosed and tight, you should add a supply. I think most people would not like to mix unconditioned basement air with your living space air. may or may not be a big deal. could make your HP work harder and higher electric bills. if you truly needed more return for comfort and improved air movement, I would have taken it from your living space area.

IMO

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 6:58AM
carl883

tiger I havw a supply in the basement.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 9:20AM
tigerdunes

carl

in your post you said "no heat in basement". ???

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 9:32AM
carl883

Sorry tiger I have heat in the basement ,I have a supply but I put a return in . What is your opinion. thanks

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 10:37AM
david_cary

Carl - your question doesn't make sense. So you have a supply in the basement and you added a return. Well - that is good since they should be in balance. Now what is your question exactly?

If the basement wasn't on the system and now is, your system will work more to heat the house. Is that a problem - probably but really hard to say without more specifics. If it is oversized and the basement is relatively small and well insulated, then you will be fine. Any other situation and your HP may not be able to keep up and you will use supplemental heat more often.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 3:11PM
carl883

Let me make it more clear, My question since I added the return in the basement when using the heat pump for the winter is the heat pump going to work harder to warm the house, it is cooler in the basement. Should I block the return in the winter and open it in the summer. Hope this is clear to you. Thank you for your help.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 4:42PM
david_cary

If you now have better airflow into the basement and you heat it more, then the HP will work harder. If you have a supply in the basement and no return, then you are overpressurizing the basement - which may have no real consequences. It might increase duct leakage and increase leaks out of the basement - but the actual consequences may be small.

So yes - you should block the return - probably - but impossible to say for sure. It depends on duct location, tightness; tightness of basement etc.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 9:18PM
countryboymo

If you have a basement with high humidity one solution is add a supply on one end and return on the other to circulate air and cut humidity. If they need to be blocked in the winter you can either tape across the vents or buy some magnetic vent covers at a home center and tape around them if that is not enough.

This is pretty cheap and no water to drain and mess with... Also most dehumidifiers are not near as energy efficient.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
Heat pump choices for first timer. Advice??
Hello, First post, great place you all have here. We...
adayrider
Rheem Econet AC
Does anyone know when the new Rheem econet Ac units...
bdubb5
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™