Is this a reasonable estimate?

LobsterClawAugust 22, 2011

Hello All - Our upstairs A/C unit isn't cooling at all (a 3.5 ton Goodman, roughly 7-8 years old). We have a home warranty and the contractor that came out did a leak test said the capillary tubes look like "swiss cheese". They said our options are:

-replace the capillary tubes, which the home warranty would completely pay for, but we'd likely be having problems at least a couple of times a year

-replace the coil (probably $400-$600 out-of-pocket for us in excess of what the warranty would pay), which may end up buying us a couple of years (they thought around a week for the part)

-replace the system with a new compressor and coil, at about $5,700 (this was a quote for a bottom-of-the-line Amana Distinctions 3.5 ton, which as I understand it is basically identical to a Goodman) - $800 more if we wanted a full 10-year warranty for parts AND labor

That pricing for the full system replacement seemed rather high to me for what is essentially one of the cheapest systems on the market. Am I correct, or is that actually in-line with what you would expect?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jack_Mason

That estimate is definitely too high. Prices do vary depending on where you are in the country, but you can order a 3.5 ton A/C unit online for under $2,000 and installation should be no more than $1,000 at the high end. My suggestion is that you do the following:
(1) Take a look at www.hvacandwater.com to find out typical price ranges for different central A/C units
(2) Use a service like Service Magic or Quality Smith to solicit free quotes from qualified local contractors for your job

You should be able to lower that price by at least $2K.

Here is a link that might be useful: HVAC and Water Site - Great Info on A/C Pricing

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 11:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

Lobster

If you replace the coil, what is the warranty?

I personally would ask the home warranty company for a settlement and then ditch them for a good 13 SEER condenser with matching coil.

Pls no low end Goodman.

IMO

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
Geothermal vs Carrier Greenspeed
I am looking to replace my current Heatpump. I have...
mkrafczyk
Any Reviews/Feedback on Daikin HVAC (Dallas)
Anyone install a Daikin HVAC system yet? We are in...
DallasArts
Advice on HVAC & Insulation issues
I have a few questions that I would love to have input...
cinamn808
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™