Schoolhouse style light fixture

zaphod42January 26, 2014

What are your thoughts on this style of light fixture? Is it distinctly vintage? Modern? Urban renewal? Classic? Too trendy? Everyone has them already?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pdx7700

I think they blend in with a a lot of different styles. They have become more popular, but I don't think they are overdone.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:45PM
michjac

Gunk stays out, very clean. I cringe when i see chandeliers near the actual cooking equipment, even if you have a Vent-a-Hood.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 5:34PM
luvspringtime

I have been looking for lights above my island for months. There were so many wonderful choices to select from. While I was looking I kept finding the schoolhouse lights every where. At first I wasn't a fan but the more I saw them and noticed them in homes and stores I started to appreciate how unique and pretty they were. So today I just ordered a pair of kichler Keller pendant lights. I should be getting them in 3 weeks. They really seem to be popular. Good luck with your selection!

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 9:24PM
CEFreeman

I have two different, close-to-ceiling schoolhouse style lights, and an antique pendant from a long-gone, Washington, DC movie house. It's a schoolhouse with some of the detail outlined in black.

I like them in so many styles of décor. I think, as ridiculous as it is to think someone could actually create a timeless kitchen, these lights as a fixture, remain timeless.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 9:27PM
ruralredhead

I think they work with lots of different styles. We have flush mount schoolhouse fixtures from Rejuvination in our bathroom and will add them in the kitchen. We have a ranch house with a flare for vintage touches and they work perfectly.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 10:26PM
romy718

I like them & agree they work well with so many different kitchen styles, including Downton Abbey.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 12:53AM
pricklypearcactus

I am so glad you asked this question and I am glad to see these kinds of responses. I really like the schoolhouse style light fixtures and I think they look very classic: not overdone, slightly vintage but not super specific to an era. I am considering one for the hallway by our bedrooms to add a little interest and replace an ugly old fixture.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
top cutlery tray on Kitchen Aid Dishwasher
Is the extra (3rd) cutlery tray on the higher model...
ladypie
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Tubes Wall Sconce
Lightology
Olde Bronze Wall Sconce
Overstock.com
Flood Lights. 110 Degree Motion Sensing Security Light - Bronze
$29.97 | Home Depot
Cabriet Wall-Mount Sink Holder
Signature Hardware
Concord 4-inch Centerset Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com