Appliance Surge Protectors

richard_fApril 23, 2013

Several years ago we had a new GE Profile refrigerator that stopped cooling, so we called GE and scheduled a service call. When the repair person arrived he checked it out and told us the main control board was dead and that they'd replace it since it was under warranty. I asked him if there was anything that might have caused the failure he told me that it was almost certainly a power surge.

So I asked him why he was so sure and he told me that mine was the third dead appliance control board he'd seen on my street in the last 24 hours, which means that our local utility had had an issue causing a surge, probably due to work they were doing in the area. So for all of us who have expensive laundry appliances with electronic control systems, an appliance surge protector is cheap insurance.

I like this one because it has a high joule rating, will continue to pass power to the appliance after a surge (very important for a refrigerator or freezer) and has an indicator light that tells you when it's ability to protect the appliance is exhausted and the unit should be replaced, but I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

It's an RCA PSAPP1R Appliance Surge Protector for people who want to google it instead of using the link to amazon below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AM5Z5O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:09PM
fahrenheit_451

I much prefer and have installed these in our residence where needed (one place being our refrigerator): Leviton Type 3 - Surge Protective Receptacles

You will need to review the specs needed for your requirements, but these are the least intrusive and are available in industrial, commercial, and hospital grade.

This post was edited by fahrenheit_451 on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 13:44

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:43PM
richard_f

Georgect- I ordered one of the Tripp Lites and it's a very nice unit. One drawback to the RCA is that it covers both outlets, which means that if you want to plug a vacuum cleaner in occasionally you either have to remove the RCA or plug the vac into the side of the unit, which is cumbersome. The Tripp Lite can be plugged into the bottom outlet, leaving the top one free for transient uses. It's also nicely made - I like the metal case.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:09PM
dualref

We use a Tripp-Lite on our GE Profile refrigerator after hearing that these units are sensitive to electrical surges with the main control boards. We have had our refrigerator almost two years now with no problems at all.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:32PM
georgect

Great to hear Richard_f.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 11:00PM
kris_zone6

We installed a whole house surge suppressor in our circuit breaker box. It took the electrician about 5 minutes and the cost was minimal compared to repairs.

This post was edited by kris_zone6 on Sat, May 11, 13 at 13:33

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 12:55PM
georgect

Kris (kris _zone6).

I have installed a whole house surge suppressor (like the one shown below) also when I updated the electrical service panel to 200 amps.

These only help stop catastrophic surges like lightning or power line damage coming into the home.

They do not protect with internal electrical spikes, for instance when A/C or refrigerator or the like motors kick on and off.

You should still protect sensitive items like computers, TV's and appliances with sensitive electronics inside with a good surge suppressor.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:30AM
kris_zone6

We still have individual surge protectors in addition to the whole house surge protector,

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Combo washer-dryer in USA?
Do they allow to purchase and use an all-in-on e washer+dryer...
neonrider
which compact washer/dryer?
I really wanted the Miele touchtronic washer/dryer...
achase1961
Do any of you use Ammonia in your laundry?
A friend of mine says she uses ammonia in her wash...
mark40511
New Tide Turbo Clean HE
Seeing coupons for this in my paper. Is it their response...
kclv
what to consider before buying portable washing machine
before buying portable washing machine there are a...
moffito
Sponsored Products
XtremeAIR 36 Inch Wall Mount Stainless Steel Range Hood PX06-W36
eModern Decor
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Undermount Stainless Steel 30x18x10 in. 0-Hole Single
Home Depot
Appliance White Three Light Ceiling Fan Kit with Frosted Glass
$95.00 | Bellacor
Catskill Butcher Block Cart with Flat Doors - 51527
$198.99 | Hayneedle
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Undermount Stainless Steel 23x18x10 in. 0-Hole Single
Home Depot
Set of Two Mediterranean Mixer Packs
$38.95 | FRONTGATE
T-fal Vitesse BF6520004 Stainless Steel Electric Kettle Multicolor - 02310800840
$54.99 | Hayneedle
Carlton Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™