urgently need advice: rheem rapm-jez or trane xr15
Need your advice on the final decision. Thanks!!
- The current unit is 27-yr-old A/C (5 ton York and gas furnace) and duct system.
- 2300 sq ft one-story house (built in 1985) with 20 windows (double-pane).
- Currently have 14 air supply, 1 return on hallway ceiling, and 2 small returns on the wall. We will seal the returns on the wall.
- Location: Dallas. The average winter temperature is high 59 and low 39. The average summer temperature: high 95 and low 76. Average days in a year over 100 degree are 18. We usually have very dry hot summers.
We need to choose over 3 options from two contractors. Both contractors are locally reputable companies (none of them does Manual J calculation):
(1) Trane Contractor
Option 1 (total $12000):
Trane 4 tons XR15 split system A/C w/R410a, Model 4TTR5049E1000A, AHRI Ref# 4180345
Trane XV80 100000BTU variable speed upflow/horizontal furnace,
Trane H/E aluminum horizontal flat coil Model 4TXFH063CZ3HHA
Trane programmable 3 heat/2 cool touch screen thermostat Model TCONT802AS32DA
* Install New R8 Duct system: will add one 16" return at the entry hallway, one 12" return in master bedroom, and one supply at the entry.
* Warranty is 10-yr manufacturer warranty. 1 year labor warranty. (We can pay extra $800 for extended 9-year labor warranty.)
(2) Rheem Contractor:
This contractor thinks we should use 5 tons for this house. We asked him to provide a quote for 4 tons scenario.
Option 2 (total: $11680-)
5 ton 14.5 SEER Rheem RAPM-060JEZ, AHRI# 3554679, Gas furnace is 80% AFUE
HW Focuspro 6000 thermostat
* Install New R8 Duct system ($2500): add 16x25 return box and grill and 2 additional drops
* Warranty: All parts are covered for 10 years from the factory. The heat exchanger has a 20 year warranty. Labor is 2 years. No cost on labor, Freon or other parts for 10 years if the coil leaks.
Option 3 (total: $10850.-):
4 ton 14.5 SEER Rheem RAPM-048JEZ, AHRI# 3549842, Gas furnace is 80% AFUE
Which one will be the best deal??
Sorry for lengthy posting. Thank you very much for your help.