Carrier A/C Model 38CKC030-340 repair question

amyf5August 20, 2012

My a/c doesn't seem to be working properly again. I have a long history of problems with this unit and I am hoping someone will have some good advice for me. I live in Michigan. My house is 3500 sf plus a finished basement. House has two compressors and it is my upstairs unit that gives us the problems. I don't think I have ever been able to get the upstairs cooled below 70 even on a mild summer day. Here is some background info:

May, 2005

New construction with new unit (Carrier Model 38CKC030-340)

July, 2006

A/C not working well. Repairman says "too much freon" and "puts correct amount".

July, 2007

Not working again. Repairman says "compressor valves are bad." He installs new compressor, liquid dryer and suction dryer.

May, 2009

Not working again. Repairman adds 2 lb R22 freon.

June, 2009

Working ok. Repairman out for another reason. Checks this unit and adds 1 lb R22 freon.

July, 2009

Not working again. Repairman says "Plugged outdoor coil". Replaces compressor, capacitor, and filter dryer.

July, 2011

Not working "well." Repairman adds "small amount" of freon.

So I am about to call the cooling company back now because although it is only 78 degrees out, I can't cool my upstairs below 72. I think I should be able to get my upstairs COLD in these conditions. Am I wrong? Also, three compressors in seven years???

Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_home

If the the tech needs to add refrigerant then you have a leak. The correct fix is to repair the leak.

Did you pay the labor costs for the new compressors? I would be suspicious as to whether the compressor needed replacement. If they did, then it may be due to installation problems.

Have you considered hiring a new HVAC company? This one sounds like trouble. And you should be able to have the upstairs at 72 when it is 78 outside.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amyf5

Thanks Mike. The first time they replaced the compressor, I paid just the $300 labor charge as they said the unit was under warranty. The second replacement was completely free of charge. Most of the freon adds I paid for, I think one was free. I have resisted going somewhere else so this company wouldn't be able to tell me that some other place damaged my equipment. I think it might be time to move on, but I want to be more educated before this cylce continues much longer.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
company insists on all payment in advance
Having 2 mini-splits installed, have already paid half...
gramarows
Tampa area, advice on AC replacement
Hello, bought a house with a 31 year old Trane Heat...
bitsie1
Moving house AC unit
Hopefully this all makes sense. In our potential kitchen/house...
Jennifer Weinman
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
Is this HVAC system OK?
Replacing original old ~9 seer unit. House is 2001...
thereloader
Sponsored Products
Hawthorne Queen Headboard
$899.00 | Horchow
Kidwise Commercial 3-in-1 Bounce & Slide Inflatable - ST-1010-COM
Hayneedle
West Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Black Houndstooth Nosh Lunch Bag
$13.99 | zulily
Smoke Gray Fresh 27-Oz. Infuser Water Bottle
$9.99 | zulily