Refreeze a fresh pizza?

dedtiredMay 19, 2012

I bought a pepperoni pizza as part of a library fund raiser. It's a bake-at-home pizza -- never been baked. I couldn't get there on time to pick it up so they froze it for me. I thawed it to bake tonight but when I opened the box I realized how enormous the thing is. Can I refreeze half of it or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I would cook the entire thing and freeze the cooked slices.
Won't be the best, but I would eat it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 10:06PM
lindac

I would refreeze it right now....in fact I have done just that thing....bought a "charity" pizza that was huge....defrosted and refroze half. The half I cooked right away was better than that I refroze......but better than trying to re heat a cooked one.....and keep the cheese from turning to leather.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 10:49PM
dedtired

It was getting late, so I just baked the rest of it, wrapped it up and refrigerated it. I bet a lot of it gets tossed. Too bad. Maybe I freeze some of the slices. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 9:17AM
kashmi

Something else to try: the "brown-n-serve" approach. Cook the half you want to freeze part way, then cool and freeze it. When you are ready to eat it, you just have to finish the cooking process. That seems to keep the cheese from becoming leather -- and the crust as well.

When we make pizzas, we make an extra that is only par-baked and then frozen for later -- for those nights we just don't want to cook. When we are ready to eat it, we heat the oven to 400 or 425, and then put in the frozen pizza for 6 - 8 minutes. Sometimes we add a bit of extra sauce to the top and/or extra cheese, but not necessary. If we have the pizza stone in the oven, it takes a longer pre-heat because it takes a while for the stone to come up to temp. But it does make for a better second-time-around crust.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Key Lime Pie Topping Help?
I had never made a Key Lime Pie or a Graham Cracker...
chas045
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
Costa Rican food ... and adventure
Forget what you have heard about food in Costa Rica...
publickman
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Chaparral Blue 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Riley Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$148.20 | Bellacor
Ardmore 17 1/2" High Black Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Couristan Outdoor Escape Cocoa Beach/Sand(2124/7025) Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicol
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Harbour Outdoor | Balmoral Armchair
YLiving.com
International Caravan Royal Tahiti 'Seville' 5-piece Bar-height Yellow Balau Fol
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™