Capacitor wires melted, does this sound right?

davenAugust 4, 2012

I had a capacitor fail on my condenser within the last year. The HVAC stopped working and I was not home when the technician serviced the unit. They are telling me that the wires to the capacitor has melted and fused to the cap requiring replacement of the capacitor and repair of the wires. I was told that the capacitor had not gone bad.

They theorized about a voltage surge but I'm wondering if that is the most likely culprit. We have a whole house service panel Leviton surge protector and it is still showing green. Could this be caused by a faulty capacitor or perhaps the plug in terminals were not secure and it arced?

I'm thinking about buying a US made amrad cap to relace the generic Chinese one that they have been using.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harlemhvacguy

What they describe is common and happens all the time. But the most likely culprit is a loose spade terminal or high amp draw on the compressor. I have found that the Chinese capacitors do fail more often than others so if you want to change it you can but it isn't really necessary.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 8:56PM
alan_s_thefirst

No harm in replacing the cap. I presume they're not expensive, and it could have been damaged by the heat.

As for your surge arrestor, it's entirely possible there was a surge (although loose connections will indeed create heat) - unless the surge is massive, your suppressor will absorb the surge and continue to function. They are a consumable, however, and eventually a large surge will destroy it or, over time it will fail after repeated surges (many of which you'll never notice.)

Most suppressors are designed more to save you, than equipment per se (although it certainly helps, equipment longevity-wise.) Power filtering/surge suppressing devices that are aimed at saving equipment are very bulky and expensive.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 1:07AM
mike_home

It doesn't seem likely that a voltage surge which would melt wires would damage only one applicance in the house. My thinking is the capacitor broke down and in the process pulled a lot of current before it blew up. This could be caused by installing either the wrong size capacitor or one that had a lower voltage rating then required by the manufacturer's specification. A bad connection to the capacitor is also a possibility since it causes a lot of heat in a small area.

Did you see the old capacitor and did it look normal?

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 8:34AM
daven

I did not see the old cap. Today I took the panel off and the new cap was not in the holder, it was just left sitting on the shelf.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:31AM
brickeyee

"it was just left sitting on the shelf."

It might not fit.

One of the things about higher reliability capacitors is that they are larger.

The wires should be stiff enough to prevent much real movement.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Tampa area, advice on AC replacement
Hello, bought a house with a 31 year old Trane Heat...
bitsie1
Geothermal in new construction.
Our house is currently under construction, and while...
bethmcg
Maytag/Nordyne/Nortek HVAC
Wanted to share my HVAC experience. Hopefully save...
bgfuller
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
waterguytexas
1 vs. 2 stage cooling? 80% vs. 95% furnace?
I'm in SoCal near L.A. (zip 91354). Two story house...
M. A.
Sponsored Products
Modern Fan Company | Ball Ceiling Fan
$316.00 | YLighting
Roman Bronze with Carved Dark Walnut Chloe 66-Inch Five-Blade Ceiling Fan with L
$819.00 | Bellacor
Elenco 200-In-1 Electronic Project Lab - MX-907
$92.95 | Hayneedle
Tuscan Bronze with Carved Dark Walnut Chloe 66-Inch Five-Blade Ceiling Fan with
$819.00 | Bellacor
Elenco 300-In-1 Electronic Project Lab - MX-908
$153.95 | Hayneedle
Modern Fan Company | Industry Ceiling Fan
$360.00 | YLighting
Micro 24 White Ceiling Fan
$133.00 | Bellacor
Modern Fan Company | Ball Hugger Ceiling Fan