Can Ecru vintage crochet tablecloths be changed to White?

bnicebkindApril 20, 2011

I purchased a vintage cotton crochet tablecloth that looked white on e-bay, but arrived and is that Ecru color...which I can't use. I like the pattern, and wondered if anyone knows how to successfully lighten it to white, or at least to the color of a ball of string. Is this at all possible, and if so, how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

Soaking it in a solution of Biz will get it as white as it can get without damage to the fabric.

Sunlight is also a great fabric "bleach"

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 11:02PM
badgergrrl

You should just try washing it. It's possible it's just filthy. Fill a mixing or the sink with detergent and some Oxiclean and let it soak for a while.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:14AM
nerdyshopper

I have used Chlorox to whiten ecru lace curtains. You must use very little because it will make holes if you use too much. I don't think Oxyclean will hurt it but might not work for ecru. It doesn't take the color out of my khaki pants.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:42AM
bnicebkind

Thank you for your responses. I see so much of that ECRU color in vintage crochet tablecloths, and I personally do not like it at all, but I admire the work and time someone put into making it. I was hoping that there was a white dye on the market, or a way to get that color out, making it white without damaging the tablecloth.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 12:27AM
itgeek

BNice... unfortunately there is no such thing as a white "dye". There are white pigments but they are more like paint pigments than dyes and can yield a stiff product.

The end result will totally depend on how the fabric was dyed originally. If it was tea died or similarly dyed using a natural substance, an overnight OxyClean soak will likely turn it "white". Now it's only going to turn it as white as natural cotton.

If you want it to be the dazzling, unnatural white of today's whites, you're going to have to oxy bleach, chlorine bleach and then bluing it. The "white" everyone thinks of as white today is actually slightly blue.

- IT Geek

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 7:57AM
More Discussions
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
Electrolux 60 Series #3
Well let this be a fyi. People do not ever purchase...
Mark
front loading washer doesn't get clothes clean
8 years ago I bought a GE profile front loading washing...
slogan3561
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™