Looking for options for w/d closet

peacefulNCApril 20, 2013

I've been forced to relocate with work and found a cute 1900's house that's been renovated and signed a lease to rent.

When I first looked at the home, the real estate agent said that the w/d closet would house a full size stacking washer and dryer.

Now that I'm trying to find one I'm having trouble. The owner said she took the contractor's word that the size was good for a full size unit but I'm not so sure.

The closet is 48" wide and 31" deep, with the vent on the left side wall.

The smallest full size machines I found at Sears are 29.75" deep... and i understand you need an addition 4.5" (with an elbow) for venting.

Does anyone know of any models that will fit this space?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izeve

I don't think you will be able to find a full size (27' wide) washer and dryer that will fit that depth. From my experience, having dealt with a fairly shallow laundry closet, only the LGs are under 30 inches. However, you need space for a dryer duct and hoses,etc. Even using a rigid flat duct, you need at least 34-35' depth. So I think your options are 24' Euro style machines (that would be my choice if I were you) or a small stacked unit.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:35AM
peacefulNC

What if i purchased a side air vent since the exterior vent is on the left side wall?

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:00PM
izeve

That would probably help but you still need space for the hoses and the drain pipe from the washer (at least 2-3'). So 31' will super tight. Are you measuring to the wall/trim or the door? The door frame may give you a bit of additional depth.

Do some research and look at owner's manuals for various brands and see what you can find. They give dimensions as well minimum clearance required from the wall. I can tell you right now that any Samsung model is out - they all are over 30'. But you may have some luck with LGs, Duets or other brands.

Good luck.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Official Cheer HE Powder...Finally
I was so happy to find that P&G now offers Cheer...
kgdallas
My LG FL is pilling my clothes
I have looked up every resource I know to help me with...
jessvb7
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...
Hi all: I placed this post in the laundry forum because...
CharterOps
which compact washer/dryer?
I really wanted the Miele touchtronic washer/dryer...
achase1961
Sponsored Products
Eglo Pendant Lights Pinto 1-Light Chrome Hanging Mini Pendant 20509A
$59.97 | Home Depot
Steve Silver Antoinette Buffet w/ Hutch in Rich Cherry
Beyond Stores
AICO Furniture - Villa Valencia Fireplace with Media Cabinet -...
Great Furniture Deal
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Shag Taupe 8 ft. x 8 ft. Round
Home Depot
Medieval Warwick Dummy Strap Hinge
Signature Hardware
Eclipse Thermaback Eclipse Thermaback Canova Blackout Window Panel - 10299042X06
$17.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™