Thermostat Installation

acehAugust 17, 2006

About to install a new Honeywell RTH6300B thermostat. I have 5 wires coming from the wall...green, yellow, white, red and blue. Old thermostat had connections for W, RH, B, RC, G, O, Y...(Old thermostat was White Rodgers model # 1F86-244.) New Honeywell RTH6300B thermostat has connections marked G, W, Not Used, Y, R, Rc.

I can understand Y=yellow, W=white, G=green, and R=red....what about the blue wire? New Honeywell thermostat has no terminal labeled B.

P.S. Old thermostat (White Rodgers) had a red metal jumper on RH and RC with the red wire from the wall connected to the RC terminal.

New Honeywell RTH6300B thermostat has a metal jumper on R and Rc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aceh

I made a mistake in my original post. I have 4 wires coming from the wall NOT 5 wires. The colors are White, Green, Blue and Red.

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 9:29AM
brandx35_hotmail_com

The colors of the wires don't mean anything at all. There is a rule of thumb about which wire color goes to which marked terminal but it isn't always followed. Find where the low voltage connects down in the air handler. Mark what color goes to what letter and connect to the same letter on the new t stat. Didn't that new t-stat come with directions? The first instruction is usually something like 'Mark wires before removing from old thermostst' If you couldn't follow that part the rest is gonna be really hard.

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 11:03PM
aceh

I did write down what wires came from where. However, the OLD thermostat had a connection labeled B to which a BLUE wire was connected. The NEW thermostat does NOT have a connection labeled B....so I was basically asking where to connect the blue wire with the NEW thermostat. This was included in the second paragraph of my original post.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 5:26PM
brandx35_hotmail_com

Lets back up a little. Is this a heat cool system or just a straight A/C? B terminals are normally just used in heat pumps. Thats why I said earlier to go down where the air handler is and see where the t-stat wires are connected at the air handler and note those connections.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 7:39PM
aceh

This is a Heat/AC system. I've NEVER had a heat pump. The old thermostat was installed by a Heating & A/C company tech and had the blue wire connected to the B terminal on the old White Rodgers Thermostat. New Honeywell Thermostat does NOT have a B terminal.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 10:04PM
brandx35_hotmail_com

I've repeatedly said you have to go down to the furnace and see what color wires go to what terminals before you can hook up the new t-stat. You have to go and physically see what color wires go to what terminals. If you don't understand that you better pay to have somebody come and hook the darn thing up for you!

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 10:48PM
spyder123

i agree with Mr.hvac, u need to write down the colors and the corresponding letters W=White wire, ect. and then it is a no brainer to go the the stat if the blue wire is on the Y terminal (hypathetically) then connect it to the Y terminal on the stat...if not, pay someone so u don't fry the stat...good luck

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 11:20PM
marycharles

I have an White Rodgers 90 series blue that I tried to hook up where my old white rodgers thermostat is. Old thermostat is for both heating and airconditioning. The problem is on my old one it has four wires, 2 are black and 2 are white. On the new climate control one it has 4 wires that are, black, white, red and yellow. How do I hook this up. Please help me. Thanks

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
I Like the Forum Changes
IMO; this new forum setup is an improvement...
udarrell
Need help with my Heat Pump
I have a 2 ton carrier air handler that is 410-A compatible....
Jason Johnson
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
auxiliary heat vs. emergency heat
Greetings, I have a Bryan Evoltion Control heat pump...
decadent
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™