Rheem unit not working after hurricane

tomwellsjrAugust 29, 2011

My power was off for 2 days due to the hurricane. I have 2 13 year old rheum 10 seer units. One works fine, the other will not come on. Both circuits are on, but there seems to be no power to the downstairs unit. I've tried to turn on the fan, heat and emergency heat with no response. Is there a fuse on the unit under the house that could have blown, or could there be a problem with my 13 year old honeywell thermostat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fluffybunnysui

Try turning the thermostat's fan setting to "On". If the blower doesn't come on, you probably dont have power to the indoor unit. Could be a thrown breaker or a blown transformer (yes...a/c's have small transformers).I'm not 100% sure on that old of a model but most of the newer units have a small 4 or 5 amp fuse on a small circuit board on the inside air handler. That could be popped, in which case, would need to be replaced.

Hope that helps

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 1:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
busboy

Power surges when restoring the grid can play havoc. De-power all systems for several minutes before turning back on. I know thiss sounds stupid, but I once had a unit that would do this and that is how I got it working aqain.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Need help with selecting Eff Heat Pump replacement.
20 yr old American Std Heat Pump stopped working. ...
2015hvac
Why is split ductless so expensive when installed?
Hi, Long time reader, first post. I have a question,...
JHZR2
Central Air OR Mini-Split
Hello everyone, We bought our house 2 years ago (1938...
Bongo
Seeking input on HVAC replacement
I am getting ready to do a full replacement. Current...
daddio76
Geothermal (GSHP) replacement
My almost 80-year-old mother's house was built in 1998...
DavidR
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™