Please help! Advice on venting gas clothes dryer

foodfiend_gardenerApril 1, 2012

We have 3 (well,2, option #3 is a bit "out there") options for venting our gas clothes dryer. Can anyone please advise which may be the best one?

1. Go out the back of the dryer, a 90-degree turn straight up 8' through the roof.

2. Out of the back, a 90-dgeree turn up 4',another 90- degree turn, then a 9' horizontal run to go through an outside wall.

3. Go out the back,a 45-degree turn down to the floor (run of about 4'), then 4 45-degree turns, along a 14' horizontal run out to the outside wall.

The question basically is, will the venting work better to come out of the dryer at 90-degrees and go up 8', or is it better to not vent vertically and go mostly horizontally even with a bunch of turns in the ducting?

Our contractor is an idiot (sorry, it's me who is "venting" now...) :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Fewer turns is better. Every turn/bend is equivalent to several feet of linear distance. Choice #1 is least turns and shortest distance. Be aware that the ducting should be cleaned of accumulated lint on a regular basis (once or twice per year), and #1 probably lends itself better to cleaning as well, other than the roof outlet being involved.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 3:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodfiend_gardener

Thanks for the info. :) I am worried that lint will fall down and accumulate in the elbow, but I guess that I would just make it a point to clean the ducting a couple of times a year. Would I have to go on the roof to clean the outlet as well? It's not a huge problem, since it's only 1 level, but I am getting older (that breaking-a-hip issue...).

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Tried vinegar method to stretch shrunk wool pants but failed
Two 100% sweaters and one pair of 65% wool with 35%...
jjjjade H
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™