Advice on how to finish edges of glass tile backsplash

lcl77January 4, 2011

We're in the process of finishing up the glass tile backsplash in our kitchen. On the edges where the glass tile does not abut against a cabinet or door moulding, it looks unfinished to me and I'm looking for advice on what people usually do in these situations. Here are photos of what the tile currently looks like.

Note that the grout hasn't yet been inserted between the tiles so that may contribute to the unfinished look.

1. Pic1 - tile ends with cabinet line in the middle of a wall so left edge is exposed

2. Pic2 - tile ends on wall perpendicular to cabinet so both top and right edges are exposed

3. Pic3 - a kitchen I saw which uses metal liners to finish off these edges.

So do you think that the edges need to have something like the metal liner to finish off their look? If not, what are alternatives?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blubird

I like the neatness of the metal edge. It's probably somewhat protective for the glass edges, as well.

I recently put up a travertine and glass backsplash, with glass tiles similar to yours, and I thought it looked unfinished at the edges, so I used travertine pencil liners to butt up against the sides of the backsplash.

Helene

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 1:21PM
trailgirl

We are going to be putting up a marble mosaic backsplash and we are planning on finishing up the exposed edges with a small marble pencil liner.

I think your photo of the metal edge really fits the glass tile.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 1:25PM
johnnyl53

The metal edge to me looks a little industrial. I prefer some trim pieces if you can get them to match your tile. I don't think you will be able to get bullnose pieces in the style you have.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 1:32PM
ptyles

This is how we finished our glass backsplash. We did the thin liner type of tile so we just took a few and turned them vertically to create a border of sorts.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 2:03PM
davidro1

The metal edge is often called a Schluter profile.

Search for these to see images:

A. minimalist, bar, line

aluminum, with some color

schluter Schiene-AE20
schluter Schiene-AE30
schluter Schiene-AE45

or stainless:
schluter Schiene-E20
schluter Schiene-E30
schluter Schiene-E45

B. sloped transition

schluter reno-U-AEU35

schluter reno-tk-AETK60
schluter reno-tk-ATK60AT

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 2:34PM
amysrq

We just ended it. I think that trying to find something to use as edging will just draw attention to the edges.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 5:24PM
sharkbyte

amysrq - I can't see well enough since the picture is at a distance. What are your edges like? Are they rough or smooth? What would they feel like if I were to run my finger down the side?

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 5:29PM
gsciencechick

I used caulk on the edge and thought it looked a little more "finished", although just leaving it like the post above would've been perfectly fine as well.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 9:05PM
lcl77

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. It looks like my options may be limited since the tile has already been set.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 1:15AM
staceyneil

Like amy, we just let our glass mosaic tile "end" in the previous house's kitchen backsplash and the current house's master bath wall tile. The edge is caulked, but is slightly rough when you run your finder over it. I have a long horizontal edge behind the vanity sinks (about 7" above the sinks) and I have not found it difficult to keep clean or anything. I like the simpleness of just letting the glass tile end. In our installations, any edging would have been too fussy...

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:03AM
amysrq

It was slightly rough, but I never once had an issue with it. The tile itself was hand-cut and rustic.

Here is a closer pic, still hard to see though. Truth is, you won't be looking all that closely once it is done. We sat right next to that spot on counter stools and it never felt like it was missing anything. Perhaps the rich paint color helped "contain" things.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:26AM
gigika

Hi lcl7,7 I am currently looking for glass tile for my kitchen and I love the one on your example 3 with stainless liner.Do you know the name of it, or what model is it?
Thanks in advance!

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 9:03AM
mamasheshe

Schluter edge, all the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: schluter edge

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
How to view older (undamaged) Gardenweb threads in Google cache
I’m posting this to create a link to refer people...
mudhouse
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
I Found Yer Problem, Lady
You can't screw 1/4" plate steel through plywood...
Joseph Corlett, LLC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™