Whitefish filets How to?

ci_lantroMay 11, 2012

I picked up some whitefish filets and need some ideas on the best way to prepare them. Also, ideas for sides. Just made up Ina's Wild Rice Salad and need something else to go with?

Don't have much exposure to fish here...just the panfish that we catch & DH thinks all fish must be fried, BUT, I'm thinking something else for the whitefish? Or not?

Oh, fast and easy is good.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magothyrivergirl

We love this recipe from NY Seafood Council. I use less shrimp and cut up 3 scallops. I have also used frozen seafood mix from Trader Joes - a small amt I had leftover.

This heats up well the next day if you have any leftovers.

This would be delicious with Ina's rice. Any veggie, and you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nick's Stuffed Hake fillets

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 6:22PM
wizardnm

I usually do a light saute with just a dusting of seasoned flour, half butter and half oil in the pan.

Whitefish is so sweet and mild, you don't want to over power it.

I have also deep fried it, using a light batter.

A green vegetable would be good with it...green beans, broccoli or peas.

Nancy

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 6:22PM
wizardnm

Here's another idea for whitefish. I posted it on the Cookalong Wine thread... it's near the bottom of the thread.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #40 ---- Wine

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 6:44PM
ci_lantro

Well, DH announced that he has a bad belly so I'm not cooking fish tonight. DSII & I made spaghetti carbonara instead. (DS's favorite.) (Jello for DH.) So the fish will be for dinner tomorrow if DH is sufficiently recovered. Ina's salad will be better after an overnight in the refrig.

Thank you for the recipe ideas. A couple of them sound wonderful but a bit over the top for me. Don't have access to quality seafood here in central Wisconsin. Anyway, I'll probably try the light saute because it's easy and I won't have to make a grocery run.

I've eaten whitefish only one time and that was in a restaurant in Sault Ste Marie several years ago. I don't remember how it was prepared but I do remember that it was the most wonderful fish that I'd ever eaten. Being a restaurant, I imagine that it was either sauteed or broiled. Hope mine turns out half so good!

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 8:58PM
lindac

Whitefish sauteed in butter....dressed with a bit of lemon and chopped fresh parsley...
With asparagus....and maybe tiny boiled newpotatoes with more of that butter and parsley.
Delicate fish needs a gentle hand with the seasoning.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™