can you unsalt a salted nut?

bbstxMay 3, 2012

My recipe calls for unsalted pistachios. I can only find salted - either shelled or in the shells. Can I quickly blanch them to get the salt off?

Could I substitute pecans?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chow Mexican Wedding Cookies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I like these cookies better when they're a little "too salty" and usually add quite a bit of extra sea salt. Your linked recipe calls for salt, so I would think that if you used the salted nuts and didn't add the extra salt, you'd come out about even Steven.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:48PM
donna_in_sask

You can rinse off the salt, dry well and very lightly toast them to give it that final dry. However, I would probably do what the above poster recommends and omit the salt in place of the salted nuts. There have been a lot of new sweet desserts that are topped with savoury seasonings like sea salt and even bacon!

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:59PM
lindac

I make that same cookie with pecans.....and call them "pecan snow balls"....carefully skirting any political issues...;P.
I'd use pecans until you can find unsalted pistachios. Trader Joe's carrys them...like ground as a coating for fish cillets to be baked.

Here is a link that might be useful: pistachios

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 6:45PM
cynic

I grew up knowing them as "snowballs" and when I found the similar recipe it was called "Mexican Wedding Cookies". (Interesting trivia tidbit about Russian Teacakes, if true). I don't put nuts in mine. Grew up without them and prefer the texture without the nuts.

If you want them in there, just omit the salt and they should be fine. You could always try a small batch first to see what you think of them.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 8:21PM
colleenoz

I make mine with pecans, they are one of my most popular Christmas Cookies. Oddly my mother, who also made them as part of her Christmas cookie repertoire, called them "Swedish Wedding Cookies" :-)

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 9:25PM
westsider40

These are 'nut butter balls' from a Good Housekeeping cookbook, ca., 1958, altho no zest and only extract is vanilla. One of my two fave cookies in the world. Pecans or walnuts, unsalted.

I do sometimes rinse salted nuts in my hand, under the faucet. Gotta be careful. Then close your fist and shake! Repeat, every 10 minutes!

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 1:15AM
bbstx

Thanks, all! DD was able to find unsalted pistachios at her local Trader Joe's (which is also the closest Trader Joe's to me but the 4 hour drive for me, makes "local" relative). She is bringing them when she comes home this weekend!

If these cookies are good, I'll make again with pecans!

I don't know why I didn't think of using salted nuts and reducing other salt in the recipe!

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Shredding cheese
Just watching an episode of Cooks country where they...
debrak_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™