condensor runs or doesn't turn off with air handler - thermostat?

jperiodAugust 8, 2011

This started last week where my air handler would run and run but the a/c condensor wouldn't come on. I shut off the breaker and turned it back on and then it's been okay for a while until this morning. I noticed the condensor running outside even though the air handler was off inside. Flipping the thermostat doesn't seem to do anything but turn the air handler on/off. The only way to turn off the condenser was flip the breaker.

What could this be? Wiring at the condensor? New thermostat? I can install a thermostat myself, but wiring out at the unit I'll have to call someone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fluffybunnysui

You need to call a tech to have him come out and look at your unit. Sounds to me like your contactor is welded shut...or you have some crud in between the points... like dead ants,stuff like that.

Hope this helps

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 10:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planewood

Try this. Turn off the breaker for the outside unit. Activate the thermostat in the house and have someone outside listen to see if they can hear the relay clicking in and out. (noticeable clacking noise). If nothing is heard then probably a bad thermostat.
Also, it would be cheaper to go to Home Depot and get their cheapest thermostat for a test than to call out a technician. If that cures the problem then get the thermostat you want.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Heat Pump.....will it really save me money?
I recently moves into a new house in Mass, a 1650 sq...
Jinx_1832
Can you vent a cooking range into a chimney?
I know you can't vent into fireplace chimney or one...
BrightFutureFoods
2 HVAC quotes: need to decide
I'm ignorant of HVAC, but willing to do the research...
davidarcher2
1 vs. 2 stage cooling? 80% vs. 95% furnace?
I'm in SoCal near L.A. (zip 91354). Two story house...
M. A.
gas wont come on. forced air gas fired furnance
the Furnace was starting then running a couple minutes...
waterguytexas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™