Help on Heat Pump

BeaufortdanAugust 12, 2012

I just moved to South Carolina, and have never had a Heat Pump in our houses. I have a 1300 sq. ft., 2 story house. There are two 1. 1/2 ton Goodman units, one for each floor ( about 10 years old). I live near the ocean, and was told by one HVAC pro to stay with American Standard, as he said others would not hold up as well. In looking through numerous sites, it seems Trane/am. Standard, Carrier, Rheem, and Bryant are trusted names. Is it worth the extra money to go with the American Standard? What should I insist on when in buying mode? Any advice is appreciated...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerdunes

Beaufort

Three tons is alot of BTU firepower for 1300 sq ft home.

For a coastal location with harsh salt water environment. I would want a seacoast shield rating to prevent problems and extend life.

First choice would be Trane/AmStd brands.

Here is my HP checklist.

Obviously correct sizing is important. If you are unsure, then request a load calculation or even perform it yourself for a nominal fee online.

there are three equally important components-quality HVAC, the install by dealer, and probably the most overlooked and disregarded is the ductwork system.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
best matching VS air handler
full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
scroll compressor preferred
electronic demand defrost preferred
thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
staged backup heat strips
new and correctly sized refrigerant line set

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes.
see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

Depending on your location, I would not purchase a new HP system that did not have electronic demand defrost.

IMO

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 12:39PM
Beaufortdan

Do I have to have 2 units, or is it better to have separate units for both floors?

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 7:37PM
tigerdunes

For best comfort, it is preferred to have two separate systems over one system even with zoning controls. With that said, your living space is relatively small.

Discuss options with your dealer.

IMO

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 6:32AM
Beaufortdan

Ok, one last issue before I post the four quotes...today a Trane salesman inspected our unit, and questioned whether our first floor inside unit had ever been serviced. It lies horizontally in our closet, and he said there was not enough clearance to clean or repair the coils. The unit is wider than the access space, and he wants to install an upright unit in another part of the closet, where we will lose some space. Is this true? The other companies did not mention this...even one American Standard Company rep I got off their website...

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:08PM
Beaufortdan

Ok, one last issue before I post the four quotes...today a Trane salesman inspected our unit, and questioned whether our first floor inside unit had ever been serviced. It lies horizontally in our closet, and he said there was not enough clearance to clean or repair the coils. The unit is wider than the access space, and he wants to install an upright unit in another part of the closet, where we will lose some space. Is this true? The other companies did not mention this...even one American Standard Company rep I got off their website...

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
Floor Air Register and ductwork
In recently doing light cleaning on air registers in...
Char Holdenried
Are mini-splits a bad idea.
I have lived in both Europe and the Middle East and...
bry911
foul smell from gas furnace vents
Please help. We have a gas furnace (only 2 years old)...
taracol
Problems with HVAC in 1958 Cape Cod
I've been reading the blogs here and hope that the...
ginaff58
$10,000 for a Furnace and A/C? Seems pricey....
Hello, So we bought our house a bit over a year ago...
bonsaicowboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™