Canned lump crab meat - fav brands?

marys1000May 21, 2008

I got an a teaser thing from CI recently and one of the teaser articles was on a test of different lump crab meats. They showed a picture of the winning can but I can't make out what it was and it probably isn't available around here anyway. I think I've only seen....Phillips? Is that the big name I always see?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had actually made crab cakes from canned and if so how was it and what was your favorite brand of canned.

I'm not a big fan of seafood but fresh crab cakes when I'm in D.C. or Delaware, yes!

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

I buy Flower brand crab meat in a 6-1/2 oz. jar. It's much better than anything I've had from a can. It comes from Thailand, however. I tend to buy frozen crab meat if I want to keep some on hand, however.

Lars

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 4:50PM
Virginia7074

Costco carries the one-pound cans of Phillips, so that's what I buy. I think the can is $14.99/pound (?) It's pretty good and makes good crab cakes. It's also from Thailand. Lump crab meat from the Chesapeake Bay has become prohibitively expensive. Costco also sells frozen Phillips crab cakes that are pretty good, for frozen crab cakes, and the cost is comparable to buying crabmeat and making your own.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 4:56PM
dixiedog_2007

I'm all for fresh blue crab meat when I can get it but as virginia said, it is expensive (I live in Virginia). I will buy Jumbo Lump Crabmeat from Costco also which is Phillips but once again as Virginia said it is Thailand. Lots of people are fooled by the Phillips name because they (once upon a time) were an excellent Maryland Crab House that had ONLY Blue Crabs from the Chesapeake but not anymore. But I will say that it does taste very similar to blue crab and the cost you can't beat. What I buy at Costco is not in a can but in a 16 oz. plastic container and is Jumbo Lump and it costs $19.99 (jumped a $1.00 this past year). If I buy at Wegman's it is $28.99+.

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 5:05PM
jimster

Chesapeake blue crab can't be beat for flavor. I prefer it to lobster or any other crab I've eaten. It is expensive though if you pay someone else to pick the meat.

I haven't purchased any canned blue crab in ages, haven't even seen it for a long time in the stores I go to. It used to be packed in one pound cans which were pasteurized in a process gentler than regular canning, resulting in a product much like fresh crab meat which would keep well under refigeration. The back fin (lump)meat was packed separately and sold for a higher price.

I think this type of crab meat is not widely distributed, but if you can find it and if you can afford it, you will have a very good product, indistinguishable from fresh.

Most of the crab meat I have consumed was either blue crabs caught by me and the family (a fun sport for all ages) or live crabs bought by the bushel. Boil them up with Old Bay seasoning and dump them on a paper covered picnic table. Crack and pick at your own pace and wash them down with beer (lemonade for the kids). There's no better way to enjoy crabs. And catching them yourself is cheap entertainment.

Jim

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 6:42PM
nibblin

Here is an article on blue crabs that you might find interesting..

Here is a link that might be useful: Thailand crabs vs. blue

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 9:25PM
jimster

Very interesting. Thanks.

Jim

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
That Time Of Year Again :)
Hi everyone, It's been a long weekend (both good and...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™