Wonder why Persil and Ariel so expensive?

cross_stitchApril 22, 2011

Just came across this tonight. Guess who will bear the costs of these fines?

Here is a link that might be useful: Unilever, P&G fines approach half billion US dollars for European price-fixing

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larsi_gw

Persil and Ariel cost no more in Europe, than what Americans or Canadians pay for Tide.

Persil sold in the USA and Canada are price affected due to import fees and taxes.

I am always amazed, when I am back in Germany or Sweden and I buy a big bottle or box of Persil...and it comes out to like $7 or $8.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:26AM
sshrivastava

I also think good old fashioned greed plays a role in pricing. I can't believe a $7-$8 item becomes a $50 item due to import fees and taxes. I read somewhere that Miele is the sole importer and distributor of German Persil in the USA, and they have marketed and priced the product as a "luxury" item here in the states. It's fair to assume the vast majority of what you pay for Persil here in the USA is pure profit for the dealer or distributor.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:17PM
vintage36

The prices appeals to people who like to say "you get what you paid for" :-)

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:40PM
cyberspacer

I would tend to agree with many comments above, except that visiting the EU many times I find that the price of products are not that much cheaper that in the US prices anymore. Large size Perwoll is around 9-12 Euros. Fabric softeners about 5 Euros. Have not seen the Persil and Perls. And given the current exchange rate, the price advantage in EU (at least for US consumers) is even less than it was even a few months ago.

I have no clue as to how much it cost to transport, but I'm sure it is very expensive to transport heavy boxes of a relatively "incidental" product which adds a huge amount to the cost.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
Electrolux 60 Series #3
Well let this be a fyi. People do not ever purchase...
Mark
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
speed queen awn 542 and adg3lr dryer
Just purchased Speed Queen AWN 542 and ADG3LR Dryer Great...
bcsnave
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™