Cooling off a heated swimming pool room

fluffybunnysuiAugust 26, 2012

Here is what i have to work with. Brand spanking new hotel right in the middle of all this Eagle Ford Shale, been open less than 4 months. I didn't install their central units and they cant seem to find who the contractor was that did. No biggie. It's all Rheem equipment. I've been called out once already to replace a faulty air handler breaker on a 5 ton hallway unit. Now they are complaining that the giant room that has a full size heated swimming pool is in the 90's.I went out last week and found the outdoor fan motor was locked up. I replaced it with O.E.M. The manager called me yesterday and tells me the swimming pool room is staying at 87-90. They have a 7.5 ton all electric trying to cool this room thru only 10 - 12"x 12" 4 ways in the ceiling. They want to keep it at a constant 78 degrees. My load cal program doesn't allow me to adjust for that kind of heat load. I have an idea and wanted to run it past you guys before i dump too much time into this project.

I think i should figure the total amount of btu's of heat to remove to bring it down from 90 degrees to 78 degrees from just the water alone. So if 1btu is required to raise the temp 1 degree to 1 lb of water, then all i should need is to figure out the size of the pool (in gallons)... lets just say 20,000 gallons... then multiply that times the total degrees in drop i want. So 20,000 x 12 =240,000 btu's of heat removal or a 20 ton unit. What do you guys think? Am i way off? I know i have to figure the room but for now i want to stick with just the pool heat. Let me hear your thoughts please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SaltiDawg

What are you trying to maintain at 78 degrees?

Only the air in the room OR both the water and also the air?

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 11:19AM
fluffybunnysui

Trying to maintain room temperature. The pool is a heated pool. They want the pool to stay at mid 80's to low 90's.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 11:38AM
david_cary

Well, your model has you cooling the pool with the a/c which is not what you want or need to do. Evaporation of the pool is also a big humidity load. In the end, the heat load of a pool shouldn't be that much but otherwise I can't help you.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 5:36AM
mike_home

I would think the pool represents a big heat source. You have to calcualte how much heat is being put into the pool, and how much of that heat is transferred to the air.

For a quick approximation you can add the area of the pool to the outside wall area for the load calculation. If the outside design temperature and the temperature of the pool are both in the 90s should put you in ballpark unless I have overlooked something.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:52AM
mike_home

I did overlook something. For the area of the pool the insulation value would be zero. If you can't enter zero, then use the smallest insulation value allowed.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
Can you vent a cooking range into a chimney?
I know you can't vent into fireplace chimney or one...
BrightFutureFoods
Advice on Attic insulation
So we just finished the second year in our house and...
w_fournier
No Fully Trained Mini Split Installers
Reading threads about mini split heat pumps I got curious...
nerdyshopper
New HVAC install in So Cal
Hi Everyone, I just got a quote from Home Depot contractor....
revlimit
How to heat this room?
Hi folks! First post in this forum. I live in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
Sponsored Products
Beach House Light Blue and Espresso Rectangular: 5 Ft.3 In. x 7 Ft.7 In. Rug
$104.95 | Bellacor
Elite 2 Butt / 2 Shaft Cue Case - ECGT22 BLACK
$67.15 | Hayneedle
Artemide | Droplet Suspension Light
YLighting
Safavieh Chocolate/ Natural Indoor Outdoor Rug (2'2 x 12')
Overstock.com
Artisan Copper Garden Torch with Scroll Yard Stake - Polished Copper
Signature Hardware
Cozy Patio Armchair in Espresso White
$399.00 | LexMod
Collapsible Storage Cart
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Zuo Copacabana Red Outdoor Ottoman
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™