Musty smell when air-conditoner is on...please help

sewnice50August 1, 2007

I have been going insane trying to find this horrible musty smell in my house that has been intermittent. I finally made the connection to the musty smell, it happens when the air-conditioner is running. I do not run it often because we live in an area where we seldom need it. I have read about a drip pan or coils needing cleaning but my air-conditioner is central air. How do I or where to I look to clean this unit?

I have been running it for 2 days now because it has been very warm outside and the smell has subsided. Will this smell come back next time I need to run the air?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyg

The coil and drip pan are located in the air handler which is inside the house somewhere. Half of your central air system is located outside of the house (the compressor and condensor) and the other half is located inside the house (air handler with evaporator coil). Depending on the type of house, the air handler may be in the attic, basement, or laundry room. The air handler contains your air filter which you should be changing on a regular basis.

Once you locate the air handler, check to make sure that water is indeed draining out of the condensate drain after the a/c shuts off on a humid day. You may have to open up the air handler and add some bleach to the drain pan to kill mold/mildew/slime as well as add some to the drain line. You may also have to clean your coil with a special spray-on cleaner for evaporator coils. As long as their is living junk in your pan or coil, you will smell "dirty socks" whenever you run the a/c.

Best of luck.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Carrier Greenspeed 25VNA Massachusetts Cold Weather Data
Hello Everyone, I wish I had had this information prior...
Sabs83
Manual J -> S ->D
JSHR: 0.81 MJ8 Tons: 3.03 SqFt/Ton: 1667 CFM/SqFt:...
Brian S
2 Stage vs 1 Stage
I am trying to decide what HVAC replacement system...
cms9323
Is 16 SEER Lennox A/C 5X better than 18 SEER Goodman?
I bought a bank repo home 2 years ago in San Diego....
davidahn
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™