How tall is your toe kick area?

quiltgirlJanuary 31, 2013

Am doing a furniture base in most of kitchen and wondering how high I should make the toe kick area. What size is yours? Pictures?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliris19

3.5" which is just fine. 4" is standard and I read that this newly augmented standard is a function of needing space to allow for new, thicker workboots. Dunno if that's true, but there aren't any workboots in my household and quite frankly, even if there were, the 3.5" would accommodate them anyway. I don't know why they're made so big, just cuts down on cabinet space, seems to me.

Do a google search on this topic, there have been many discussions of it.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:14PM
quiltgirl

I am not having a toe kick space, but would like a furniture base around the bottom of the cabinets. Do you think 3 1/2" high is adequate for that kind of look?

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:27PM
Peke

I am doing 4.5" so my Dyson will fit under the toe kick.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 8:35PM
jakuvall

4 and 4 1/2 are the most common toe spaces. Have uused 3 1/2 baseboard with closed toe space , better with 4.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:07AM
Molly Phillips

Stupid question alert: if you do a 4.5" toe kick, doesn't that make the base cabinet, thus the counter, higher? Is that part of the consideration as well?

I'd like to raise up our base cabinets a little since I'm 5'9 and DH is 6'3 but I was afraid it would look weird since we have on order already regular base cabinet sizes.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 11:44AM
Laura517

Quiltgirl- do you have a photo of an example of a toe kick space with a furniture base above? I thought a furniture base meant that there was no toe kick area...not sure exactly what you mean.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 11:46AM
jakuvall

Lovetodream- if cabinet height remains the same with both,door height changes. To raise cabinets shim up, get taller toe cover, and get baseboard for end of run cabinet unless you added toe space to side.
Laura technically you are correct. No toe space but would still have a toe height specked, just as flush or closed.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 1:01PM
susiemw

a great idea is to put in toe kick drawers. Good use of otherwise wasted space.

Here is a link that might be useful: toe kick drawer

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 2:03AM
quiltgirl

Laura 517, here is a picture of what I intend to do with my toe kick area. I know you can use it for storage, but at this stage of my life I don't want to bend down that far so mine is purely for looks. This base looks a little high and I am guessing it it a good 5-6 inches. Mine will be 4 inches high.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 3:01AM
More Discussions
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Zephyr Monsoon I or Air King LIN34 600 CFR Range Hood Insert??
I am ready to buy a range hood insert for my kitchen....
Kenneth House
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™