Cooling house without attic

furletcityAugust 1, 2011

The second floor of my two story attic-less log home is unbearably hot. The bedrooms have window ac units, but the hall, bath and loft area are uncomfortably hot. What are my options for exhausting this hot air to the outside? I've read mixed reviews of the Air King 9166 window fan and if anyone here has any experience with it, I'd love to hear from them. Also, could I install some type of roof vent even though the second floor ceiling boards are the bottom layer of the roof? I would love to figure out a way to get rid of the hot air upstairs!! Thank you so much in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
busboy

A window fan could work, but if you have a peaked ceiling that is where the hot air is going to concentrate. You will probably need interior fans to move that air in the upstairs combined with a window fan to exhaust the hot air. Dont forget an open window.

Perhaps one of those 2 fan window units? One side blows in fresh air while the other side exhausts.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 2:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
furletcity

Thank you for your reply, busboy! Definitely, the fact that my 2 nd floor is immediately under my roof is the main cause of it being sooooo hot. I've tried the little two way fans, but they weren't terribly effective. I was hoping someone would know of a stronger fan option. I would love one of the old-time whole house fans that fit into a window.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
furnace condensation freezing up
A non-profit club that I belong to has a furnace that...
doglover3
New Mini Split Designs for 2015
I, and I am sure others, would love to hear what is...
josey11
Pls tell me the best uses for Carrier Air Handler Model # FV4CNF003
Hi GW, I am stuck with a new 2012 air handler/heat...
ontariomom
New Bryant legacy vs 5 year old carrier infinity
My parents need a new a.c., There's is broken and probably...
David
HVAC question
I live near Charlotte NC and have a new Bryant Hybrid...
gtodd1966
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™