Pickled radish?

carmen_grower_2007May 11, 2010

Has anyone heard of this? How can I make it and can it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster

What type of pickled radish do you have in mind? One type is Takuan, which is often used as a sushi ingredient.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Takuan

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 4:29PM
marys1000

Sorry I'm not much help. You might look at other pickling recipes that don't have dill etc. like watermelon rind pickles.

My mother used to serve radishes in a plain oil and vinegar with salt like a salad.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 6:09PM
kayskats

you might google daikon ... which is a type of radish ...
I didn't see any suitable for canning, but then I didn't look too hard ... a number paired daikon radish with carrots....

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 8:03PM
rachelellen

Many cultures pickle a variety of radish types. I'd have to know what type of pickle you are looking for...was it something you ate somewhere or read of?

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 8:26PM
readinglady

I see you cross-posted at Harvest and I wasn't sure which forum you check more frequently or if there's a difference.

If you do a search under Daikon on the Harvest forum, you'll see some threads for Asian-style kimchee and pickles.

I've seen fermented radish pickles (mainly Asian - Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai) and refrigerated pickles. There is a bread-and-butter radish pickle that's been posted on Chow with some comments.

Fermented or salted pickles can be refrigerated or kept at cool room temperatures; others need refrigeration exclusively.

I don't know of any canned radish pickle recipe. If you are serious I could do some searching in my sources or you could always take a 100% vinegar brine and try a test-jar. But radishes are quite pungent and I'm not sure the results would be appealing in texture, smell or flavor. In fact, Beverly Alfeld in Pickles to Relish did a canned pickle relish but neither she nor her testers were impressed. Canned the radishes lost their color and flavor and the result wasn't a winner.

Another option for an excess of radishes is to pickle the pods. That's a recipe for an old 19th century pickle called, I think, rat-tail pickles. I do have a modernized version of that recipe that might be fun to try, but again it's refrigerated, not canned.
Carol

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:15PM
dgkritch

I have these 2 recipes but havenÂt tried them.
Let us know if you do and what you think!

Deanna

Radish Salsa
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp dry mustard
dash of salt and fresh ground pepper
1/4 c red radish matchsticks
1/4 c seeded cucumber matchsticks
Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in the radish and cucumber, cover and refrigerate.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Radish Relish

3 cups stemmed radishes
2 large ribs celery
1 large red onion
2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 tbls mustard seed
2 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 cup vinegar
2 tbls prepared horseradish

Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of a grinder, or chop them fiely. Mix with remaining ingredients and allow to stand three hours. Bring to a boil in a large pan and cook ten minutes. Pour into hot jars, leaving half-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 1/2 pints and pints in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

Posted by gardenlad 6b KY (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 11:44
Here you go, guys.
The recipe was originally called Rosy Radish Relish. And when made with regular radishes it does have a rosy hue. But I make it with all sorts of radishes, including white daikon, colored Asians, and other winter radishes.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:20PM
laceyvail

I can't remember where I got this recipe, and I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good for a radish lover,.

Daikon Relish

2 Daikon, about 1 1/2 lbs
2 medium carrots
Cut radish and carrots crosswise to fit pint jars. quarter each lenthwise, then slice lengthwise into thin slivers. Pack into jars.

Combine 2 3/4 c. rice vinegar
1 c. water
2 Tbl. honey
2 tsp chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 small hot peppers
2 Tbl soy sauce

Bring liquid to a boil and pour over radish and carrots leaving 1/4" headspace. Process 10 minutes in water bath.

I would think any radish could be used. This is the only pickled radish recipe I have seen that calls for canning. Even in The Joy of Pickling, all the radish recipes are for eating within a week.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 7:28AM
donna_loomis

I don't have a recipe, but I wish I did. More than a dozen years ago, one of my Filipino friends gave me a jar of picked radishes (don't know if they were canned or not), which I kept in the refrigerator. When I opened the jar at the dinner table, everyone visibly pulled away from the table (except me - I thought the smell was wonderful). I ate nearly half the contents in that quart jar during the meal. I was instructed never to open that jar in the house again, LOL. I would have to eat them outside. These were sliced, I believe it was daikon. I would love to be able to make these myself, but my friend is no longer in this country to give me the recipe.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 1:13PM
annie1992

the other thing about radishes, when they are cooked they lose the "hot" and become more reminiscent of a turnip, at least in my opinion.

So, canning in a boiling water bath very well may cook them to the point where they lose the hot "bite", although I've never canned them, so I don't really know.

Annie

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 1:16PM
readinglady

That Daikon Relish sounds intriguing but without knowing the source, I'm not sure it meets current canning standards.

That's a lot of low-acid product and rice wine vinegar tends to be less than 5% acidity.

I'm with Annie. I have a gut feeling that generally pickled or fermented radishes retain their character best if they're not canned.

(Though I know people who love them sliced in stir-fry.)

Carol

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
Do you keep raisins in the frig?
I have never ever kept my raisins in the frig. My most...
Jasdip
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
It just dawned on me.....
that there's no Recipe Exchange forum anymore under...
Jasdip
I still love cooking....
I still love cooking and sorry to have been MIA for...
wizardnm
Kitchen Gadget Over-the-Top?
Drinking Straw Cleaner? I don't think so but checking...
mustangs81
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™