Need cake recipe for mold pan

sally2_gwMay 21, 2011

Ewww, that sounds terrible, doesn't it? Well, to make a long story short, I will probably be baking my grandson's cake or cakes for his birthday tomorrow. I wasn't expecting to until now. I'm at work now, and don't normally sneak forum time in at work, but I thought I'd post this question now so maybe I'll have an answer by this evening when I need to do the baking.

Is there a special cake recipe for baking in a mold pan? The mold is a face of a cartoon character, some transformer, I think. I've never baked a cake like this before, nor decorated one, either. Yikes. I'd like to make a yellow or white cake, and a chocolate one, as I think one cake from this mold may be too small.

I have a pastry bag and tips that I bought several years ago and haven't ever used. I plan to practice with shortening. Which reminds me - what about frosting? Any recipes for frosting that's easy to work with and isn't too yucky sweet? I have the kids getting cream cheese and butter, to cover the bases.

Thanks,

Sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coconut_nj

Actually a pound cake type recipe works best for anything that's in a more intricate mold. There are good chocolate pound cakes too. I'll look around for recipes I have later if you don't get anything that you want. As far as the icing goes, sure a basic cream cheese icing can work, but it needs to stay pretty stiff. The main thing to remember when wanting to decorate with icing is to keep it fairly stiff so it's easy to work with. Just keep checking when you add the liquid to see the consistency. The recipe below is from Cooks Country and went with a red velvet cake... which might work actually. It has so much cream cheese that it doesn't use milk. I make it with about half the cream cheese and then add milk to get the consistency I want.

Frosting
16 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
16 ounces cream cheese , cut into 8 pieces, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch salt
With electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, one piece at a time, and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Beat in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.

My basic butter cream is a stick of butter per pound of confectioners sugar, flavoring, pinch of salt and then enough milk to get whatever stiffness I need for the application.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 6:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sally2_gw

Thanks, Coconut. I've copied and pasted your frosting recipe. I plan to make the cake tonight, and work on frosting it tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't have thought of using a pound cake recipe. The mold is not very intricate, luckily. It's a face of a transformer. It's the wrong one, apparently, because he wants Bumblebee, and this is a different character, but I figure I can decorate it yellow and black and he'll be happy. Of course, I don't like the idea of using black around 4 year olds! But what can I do if that's what dgs wants.

Sally

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
How to Buy Pistachios for a Recipe
I'm planning on trying a recipe I found on Food.com...
Cassandra
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
Cookout for 150 people
I am having a cookout for my son's graduation, and...
Teffanie Hughett West
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group ALR-8922 - Modular 2 Light Bath Bar - Oval Shade - Matte Bl
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Plywood Lounge Chair 902
| Italy Design
Westinghouse Ceiling Fans Richboro SE 42 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan 7877365
$63.75 | Home Depot
Kraus Square White Ceramic Vessel Bathroom Sink
Overstock.com
Warwick Natural Walnut Desk
| Dot & Bo
Contardi | Manhattan Wall Light
$680.00 | YLighting
Desk Lamps: Designer Collection 21.75 in. Hot Pink Desk Lamp with Acrylic Shade